Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Bad laydown? QQ in the SB

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Did I mess it up big time? No reads for MP1 or CO, and this hand worries me the most from the entire session. In general typical Party-session, A-rag played to the river most of the time, lots of cold-calling and over-calling.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Bad laydown? QQ in the SB

bet flop.
if it goes raise-reraise you can think about folding but you still might have the best hand.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 PM

I would probably have b/f, or maybe c/r the flop as opposed to c/f.

Peace,
Mygtar
Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM

I would bet the flop for sure. If it went call raise i'd probably c/f the turn. If it went raise reraise I think a fold is fine. There's a strong argument for b/f the flop too.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 PM

bet the flop! you very often have the best hand and don't want a hand like TT(that's scared) or KJ(that's drawing) to just see the turn for free.

more importantly, you need to bet to control the action. most of the time in a pot this size, after that preflop raising(esp. with the flush draw), checking is goign to beg them to take a shot. don't let that happen. keep the initiative when OOP like this. if i was in CO's shoes with 77 i would probably raise a flop donk in a pot this size.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:42 AM

That's a tough spot but honestly, unless the initial raiser was a maniac, there's a decent chance he holds an ace, so that comes down to what you know about the opponent.

Once you added the re-raise into the mix though, what was he to likely have? Well, he could have been trying to isolate with a small or medium pair...but he could also easily be holding an A...or pocket kings.

I don't think this is cut and dried at all. Against a single opponent I probably wouldn't have folded unless he played VERY tight, but with this kind of action before and after the flop, unless the opponents were maniacs, or you though they saw you as someone they could push around...the fold was prudent.

I bet after the flop to "see where you are" isn't a bad idea, but I would save that play for loose preflop raisers who play more passively post flop.

Further, if BOTH opponents were maniacs, rather than just one of them, you could be taken for quite a ride if they decided to get a raising war on.

If you're sensing a theme with my post so far, it's that tough spots are where knowing thy foe REALLY comes into play.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop! you very often have the best hand and don't want a hand like TT(that's scared) or KJ(that's drawing) to just see the turn for free.

more importantly, you need to bet to control the action. most of the time in a pot this size, after that preflop raising(esp. with the flush draw), checking is goign to beg them to take a shot. don't let that happen. keep the initiative when OOP like this. if i was in CO's shoes with 77 i would probably raise a flop donk in a pot this size.

[/ QUOTE ]