Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Backing out of a deal in exchange for money is..
OK 68 86.08%
A scumbag move 7 8.86%
Results plz 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: B,B, or V?: lilholdem interview!

[ QUOTE ]
kid ran like god in the wsop circuit event at caesers indiana that he won. easy to amass chips when sticking it in with no folding equity and 3 outs, or calling off with 3 outs and getting there every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched every hand day 2 and day 3, he did not run like God, he ran awful in all in situations on day 2. He had so many chips it didnt matter though cuz he won like every pot w/out showdown. He won a huge flip midway through day 1 AK>JJ and it was over from there.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is eveyrone in the first few pages of this thread leveling? You guys seriously think taht Chad isnt a winning player in MTTs and plays bad. LMFAO.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, i'm pretty sure they said that the comment "he is a winning player" cannot be proven due to sample size. His style of play is a high-variance style. To say that his ~2000 or w/e MTTs is a big enough sample to show anything remotely close to his true ROI is just plain dumb. Yah, he's won alot of money, does that mean his edge is really as big as anyone is making it out to be? No. This is the problem/awesomeness of donkaments. With large field tourneys, anyone playing a slightly more aggressive style than normal can go on a hot run of cards and in a small sample size be at the top of the world. The problem is we have to hear from all of them about how great they are. The awesomeness is that the majority of them think they play like a god and then attempt to play real poker (cash) and lose everything. I give the kid credit on 1 thing, he has confidence and expects to win. That alone will take someone far in the poker world. But it has its limits. Eventually variance will bite harder than they ever thought possible, the confidence dies, and then we never hear from them again. Whether or not that will play out in this case has yet to be seen. But to deny it's a possibility is really ignorant.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is eveyrone in the first few pages of this thread leveling? You guys seriously think taht Chad isnt a winning player in MTTs and plays bad. LMFAO.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, i'm pretty sure they said that the comment "he is a winning player" cannot be proven due to sample size. His style of play is a high-variance style. To say that his ~2000 or w/e MTTs is a big enough sample to show anything remotely close to his true ROI is just plain dumb. Yah, he's won alot of money, does that mean his edge is really as big as anyone is making it out to be? No. This is the problem/awesomeness of donkaments. With large field tourneys, anyone playing a slightly more aggressive style than normal can go on a hot run of cards and in a small sample size be at the top of the world. The problem is we have to hear from all of them about how great they are. The awesomeness is that the majority of them think they play like a god and then attempt to play real poker (cash) and lose everything. I give the kid credit on 1 thing, he has confidence and expects to win. That alone will take someone far in the poker world. But it has its limits. Eventually variance will bite harder than they ever thought possible, the confidence dies, and then we never hear from them again. Whether or not that will play out in this case has yet to be seen. But to deny it's a possibility is really ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

god i hope you are leveling me... his MTT # is closer to 4k though.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:46 PM

yes everyone is leveling you.. god that's such a retarded term anyway.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, lol @ how terrible everyone thinks I am because I'm an [censored] haha

[/ QUOTE ]

Please quote where someone called you terrible.

Don't bother looking cuz nobody did.

That said chad>you at mtts, and they offered to make some type of bet about it.

You twist this into being called terrible at poker.

You are one of the dumbest smart kids on these forums.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 PM

aejones I just did a quick count and I'll be sure to do the bet with you as theres 10-11 that I am sure have a large edge on you for HU cash. Let me know when you want to do this.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM

I shut it off right when he said, "I don't even know what that word means...like, pompous?"
Old 08-03-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys seriously think taht Chad isnt a winning player in MTTs and plays bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one said he wasn't a winning player in MTTs
Old 08-03-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
aejones I just did a quick count and I'll be sure to do the bet with you as theres 10-11 that I am sure have a large edge on you for HU cash. Let me know when you want to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, this is great. now you know I mean the top 100 ranked right? which means, you can't pull someone ranked 150 who is good at cash. so, you're serious? let's let this go down plz. will do this for sure at the beginning of september.

if you give me a list of 11-12, i will LOL @ you for sure so plz let it happen for hilarity purposes.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His sample size is at least 4-5k tournaments, which probably comes out to 500k hands or something. Plus, the play in tournaments is much worse than in cash games so I'd expect those who have a big edge to have good results over a reasonable sample often even though the large fields makes tournament poker a variance monster. I think people overestimate how big of a factor luck is in tournaments. You do have to have coinflips go your way, have your hand hold up when ahead, and you even usually have to suck out from time to time. But you can absolutely run over some tables and build your stack without getting into many big confrontations.

Point is that while tournaments definitely have a lot of luck involved, you can do a lot of damage without seeing showdowns. Brute aggression is a lot of times enough to get you deep into a tournament, and if you have some hands go your way you have a good shot at a FT.

I feel kinda dirty defending LH, but some of you guys are just being ridiculous.