Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Is the 4th raise always aces??

Pretty self explanatory. . .

You raise with AK and get re raised, you then re raise and your opponent shoves. AK goes in the muck. . easy. Same goes for QQ/JJ.

The problem is when you have KK. I just find it tough to lay it down when all signs point to aces. I mean why 4 bet pre flop unless you have aces?? So basically is the 4 bet always aces or should we be calling with KK most of the time?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Is the 4th raise always aces??

I think you should be calling w/ KK most of the time, regardless of the action.

Occasionally you'll run into AA, but after the third raise, lots of players feel like calling is too weak, so they'll raise again and maybe they can provoke all the chips to the center of the felt.

Basically, call w/ KK.
Almost always.

-eroc
Old 08-03-2007, 07:08 PM

Please read #17 in the frequently asked questions.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:36 PM

Once again, calling AI with KK PF is not a big leak in your game. It's not a big leak in anyone's game. Why in the hell do people spend their entire lives trying to find the one situation where it's correct to fold. Please work on something else to improve your game, anything would be more beneficial than this.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:41 PM

Only if you're playing against a bunch of old people.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:00 AM

If you have KK and put in a 3rd bet with the plan to fold to a 4 bet doesn't that mean that you are essentially bluffing with kings?

Bluffing with kings is generally a bad strategy because a better hand never folds but you sometimes allow a worse hand to steal the pot from you.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have KK and put in a 3rd bet with the plan to fold to a 4 bet doesn't that mean that you are essentially bluffing with kings?

Bluffing with kings is generally a bad strategy because a better hand never folds but you sometimes allow a worse hand to steal the pot from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This.

Also, don't reraise with AK unless you're snapcalling a shove from that person. Have a reason or a plan for what you do before you do it.

There is nothing wrong with flatcalling AK. People go broke with top pair way too much and their shoving range preflop is usually too tight to make putting in 60 bb's preflop profitable usually.

That said, if you're super deep in the first level of a tourney and you raise utg with AK and get reraised you should just fold.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's as succinct an explanation of why a 3bet/fold line with KK sucks as I've ever read. NH sir.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:48 AM

In lower tournaments, what I have observed is if you get reraised with KK and respond with a push, alot of people will assume you are a super aggro hammerhead and call you even with clearly inferior holdings. Sure, frome time to time you run into AA, or you miss the opportunity to either fold to a 4th raise (which I am not capable of doing) or maybe get him to fold on a push response from a 4th raise (getting a few more chips), but that seems marginal to me compared to how often you will provoke a call with bad cards if you just push after the reraise.

This is also a simplistic way of avoiding the hard choice you just laid out here.