Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Re: FoF back at it again

[ QUOTE ]
I think we are almost to the point we need a UNIFIED gaming political website. Affiliates, players, sites, and software companies. The PPA is dropping the ball. This is the most coherent lobbying place online, but I don't think it has the traffic a website just dedicated to political action would. It doesnt have to be a PAC or 527 or anything, just a place to go for news and support grassroots letter writing, phone calling, and general activity. Who would pay for it, I don't know. A place we can spam links to at poker tables and on blogs, maybe hand out cards in bars, or my old trick, stick them in poker books in Barnes&Nobles. Beg FT and Stars for email lists. AND NOT REVENUE GENERATING. Unless its non gaming. Legality and appearances should matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is an excellent idea.

Until the PPA becomes a bit more transparent as to what they are doing, it makes sense to try to fight our own battles and not rely on the PPA.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we are almost to the point we need a UNIFIED gaming political website. Affiliates, players, sites, and software companies. The PPA is dropping the ball. This is the most coherent lobbying place online, but I don't think it has the traffic a website just dedicated to political action would. It doesnt have to be a PAC or 527 or anything, just a place to go for news and support grassroots letter writing, phone calling, and general activity. Who would pay for it, I don't know. A place we can spam links to at poker tables and on blogs, maybe hand out cards in bars, or my old trick, stick them in poker books in Barnes&Nobles. Beg FT and Stars for email lists. AND NOT REVENUE GENERATING. Unless its non gaming. Legality and appearances should matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me and we may be able to work some stuff out. I can setup something like Mambo and a forum. If we can get the more vocal folks like The Engineer on board we can all discuss what we want there.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 AM

http://family.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/f...p?p_faqid=1238

The above link is on the focus on the family website, after the more... there is a link to focus on the family's position statement on gambling. this link takes you to citizenlink.com
http://www.citizenlink.org/FOSI/gamb...A000001159.cfm

Could this be the link that is needed to prove they are using their 501(c) nonprofit to lobby through their PAC ??
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 AM

There is "some" lobbying allowed.. What "some" is and what it should be I don't know.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me and we may be able to work some stuff out. I can setup something like Mambo and a forum. If we can get the more vocal folks like The Engineer on board we can all discuss what we want there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we would need to find some support from somewhere outside first, we need a new intact base to reach, say Full Tilt's mailing list. Its a bitch to drum up a base from nothing, sure it woudl be nice to have people manning phones, trolling tables, and blogs, etc, but we would need cooperation from a place with names, emails, or something, maybe a spammed link to tables like tourney notifiers.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:54 AM

reading the IRS rules a c (3) is allowed no lobbying for legislation ect, a c (4) is.

I think they are a (3) though as Dobson left being the head of FoF so he can lobby for legislation.

We need to know for certain which they are.

obg
Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM

Two important things.

1. Tax avoidance schemes as feared by the IRS and poker.
Is not this from FoF website a tax avoidance scheme:
[ QUOTE ]
The Johnsons are pleased to learn that although they can claim the same charitable deduction whether giving cash or securities, they can save an additional $1,350 in capital gains tax avoidance by giving their ACME Stock.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/stew...A000000448.cfm

2. I have been looking at IRS Publication
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf
specifically pages 8-10 though this relates directly to candidates, I think perhaps we can cite this and requerst FoF give US equal time as well, I.E. they should send out a letter, drafted by us to members they sent theirs to and publish ours as well.

Any thoughs after reading the publication?

obg
Old 08-03-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we would need to find some support from somewhere outside first, we need a new intact base to reach, say Full Tilt's mailing list. Its a bitch to drum up a base from nothing, sure it woudl be nice to have people manning phones, trolling tables, and blogs, etc, but we would need cooperation from a place with names, emails, or something, maybe a spammed link to tables like tourney notifiers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but you also need something to exist for people to go to. Regardless, the offer stands, but I won't do it alone. If people are willing to help with content; I will gladly provide a home for it.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 PM

I can't stand these guys. And I'm a conservative. I just wish they'd quit focusing on my family.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:39 PM

One can only hope that the PPA, having hired lobbyists, is actually doing something behind the closed doors in Washington. Seems the only thing they ever ask of us is writing letters and paying dues.

The work OldBookGuy and the Engineer have done here and at other forums is worth a full time paid position easily IMHO.

And there are others here (I like to think including myself) who will contribute as much as their day jobs (and poker evenings [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) allow.

And how much could a web site cost? And maybe it could be paid for by having a few advertisements?

If the PPA wont be more public, there is no reason we should not fill the void, if we can.

Skallagrim