Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM

Default $6.50 blind v blind trips line check

Thoughts on this please. Villain hasn't done anything out of the ordinary, didn't like what I did on the turn, but I can't see what mindonks and then more or less min 3-bets my raise other than another six. Looking for a non-results oriented opinion as villain claims to have had A6.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t120/t240
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1750
Button: t4270
SB: t4005
Hero: t3475

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, SB calls t120 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t360)</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t480, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t240</font>, SB calls t240 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t720)</font>.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t960, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t240</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to t2000</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: t1000 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: t2960
Old 08-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Re: $6.50 blind v blind trips line check

i really don't like it. i'm getting in on the turn for sure. double up gives us super shorty, shorty, and mid-stack on bubble while we've got the big stack, and i don't see you behind most of the time. i'd expect, in a 6.50, for him to roll like Q9 or Q7 and you ship the pot like 92-100% of the time.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:57 AM

there is no way that i am folding this. put it this way if the villian had A6 wouldnt a raise be exspected. if he does have a better 6 then its a cooler and fire up the next game. I agree with chuck i would exspect a Q especially Q7 in this spot.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 PM

^^ Agreed. Here's my non-results oriented opinion: Especially once you put in that raise for 1000 on the turn, you CANNOT fold. If you were really worried about your hand, you should aim to keep the pot small. Your hand is way too strong for that though. You put over a third of your stack in and you have not reason to not be willing to get all in.

This is a concept borrowed from PNL, but I think it is very applicable to SNGs when you aren't push/folding. Once you put a third of your stack into the pot, you have committed yourself. You'll be getting 2-1 for the rest of your stack, so folding is very often a mistake (With a few exceptions, obviously). So if you really thought you would be beat if all the money went in, aim to keep the pot small. (Although I do think you are ahead of your opponents range when all the money goes in here)
Old 08-03-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if you really thought you would be beat if all the money went in, aim to keep the pot small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying, but I only thought I was beat when I got 3-bet on the turn, and by then the pot isn't small any more. At that stage, I thought it'd be better to keep the 8BB's or so I have left and outlast the guy who's got a bit less and having the blinds hit him.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:53 PM

Trips + Blind battle + $6.50 = NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER press that fold button.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if you really thought you would be beat if all the money went in, aim to keep the pot small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying, but I only thought I was beat when I got 3-bet on the turn, and by then the pot isn't small any more. At that stage, I thought it'd be better to keep the 8BB's or so I have left and outlast the guy who's got a bit less and having the blinds hit him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so. You'd have to do an ICM calculation to figure it out.

The point I was trying to get across is that you need to think about planning the hand on the flop. If you thought that a big raise meant you were beat, you should keep the pot small. It makes folding a lot easier, and the villain gains less of your dead money that gets trapped in the pot.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trips + Blind battle + $6.50 = NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER press that fold button.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously. take it from experience that we're trying to pass down... don't fold ever.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM

Never fold this. This could be all kinds of stuff that you beat. You played it perfect until you folded the turn.