Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Bad play?

well they were pretty weak players... One player called with 23 and one with 45. I honestly did see a way how the board could come to my hand (after the flop) besides the insane runner runner straight which is less then 1% to happen. Turns out river gave 23 two pair which is excatly what i wanted. Futhermore if i did bet the flop i would have lost any action. Betting the turn i might have got a caller with teh straight draw as he clearly was a gambler. Thanks for your advice though.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 AM

no you miss understand, if you bet the pot "even a prob bet" you gain information to see what they could haave. dont take my advice but you would have won the pot. rather win a lil one then lose a big one.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:43 AM

i agree 100% that if i bet the flop or turn ill almost deifntly take it down and win a small pot rather then lose a big one. But the the board was so dead and i couldnt put my opponent on 45 which was the only hand that beat me which he called out of position to a big raise. I know its easy to say i played this badly because i did lose to the one hand that could beat me who runner runnered me. But honestly i feel like i played it fine because the odds of me losing in that pot are so small but the odds of me gaining alot of extra value outweigh it. IE i tihnk the check on the flop and turn was the most +ev for this situation.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But honestly i feel like i played it fine because the odds of me losing in that pot are so small but the odds of me gaining alot of extra value outweigh it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did that thing where you ask whether you played it right, but what you really want is a sympathetic ear consoling your 'beat' and you are not looking for advice at all. You had no intention of listening to anything other than 'sorry for that bad beat man!'

Please don't do that thing.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But honestly i feel like i played it fine because the odds of me losing in that pot are so small but the odds of me gaining alot of extra value outweigh it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did that thing where you ask whether you played it right, but what you really want is a sympathetic ear consoling your 'beat' and you are not looking for advice at all. You had no intention of listening to anything other than 'sorry for that bad beat man!'

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you
Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 AM

AJ6 isn't that 'dead' of a board. A K, Q or T could easily give someone a straight. If you plan to slowplay, at least bet the turn...
Old 08-03-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh lol your absolutely correct. just curious to see if anyone out there considers playing it the same. Also i do appreciate the advice
Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh lol your absolutely correct. just curious to see if anyone out there considers playing it the same. Also i do appreciate the advice

[/ QUOTE ]

i want to flame you but im better then that and i dont want to get kicked off so i 1/2 flame you and a big BAN to you sir.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:26 AM

AJx is a good board for making a probe bet, especially with straight draws out there. Also anyone with 88-TT, KJ, maybe QJ, QK, QT, KT may call, thinking they can take it away from you on the turn (or trying to catch a set or straight, if they're taking as many risks as you say)

I can understand checking the flop if you're opponents are likely to bet, because you're really only hoping to get one more bet out of either of them before shutting it down. You have the board pretty dominated, but there are draws out there. You have to make them pay for the privilege of hanging around to try and outdraw you. Also, occasionally, one of them will have an ace and will call you down the whole way.

Probe bet on the flop is best, and if you give them the turn for free, you have to give them incorrect cards for catching a straight on the river, since they are such loose players and the turn brings new straight draws on board. I've seen these kinds of players call 34, 35 (usually suited) call a pfr in situations like this, so even the gutshot may call hoping to break you. Having checked behind on a flop like that, it's still possible they are holding that oop trash.