Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: help people avoid bad movies (and watch good ones)

The Da Vinci Code: laughably bad. Perhaps Ron Howard's worst movie, which is sayiing something.

Capote: Worsth seeing for an outstanding performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman. Good movie.

The Assassination of Richard Nixon: World-class performance by Sean Penn. Not to be missed.

Shop Girl: Interesting movie, worth seeing. Helps if you're from L.A.

Brokeback Mountain: Much ado about nothing.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:38 PM

One more for The Assassination of Richard Nixon. Sean Penn was absolutely outstanding in his role. This movie is awesome, a must see.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 AM

I saw This Film Is Not Yet Rated it was fairly well done, but I couldn't get how poorly constructed some of there arguments were. They spent a lot of time talking about how the MPAA is censoring and is fascist and then went on a talk about how they unfairly punish sexuality when violence, but in that case they aren't accusing the MPAA of censoring they are accusing them of choosing to censor the wrong things. Another example is they interview someone who made a documentary following soldiers in Iraq which was rated R because of foul language. The director was arguing that since that language wasn't gratitious, but just how the soldiers talked. That maybe true, but it shouldn't effect the rating of the movie given the system in place. That being said they interviewed Matt Stone who was good and had several entertaining segments. It is a good waste of 90 minutes, but realize that the movie's message isn't particularly compelling or well reasoned.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:22 AM

Dids, I thought Prairie Home Companion was great, and I never listened to NPR.

El D, watch Little Miss Sunshine from the beginning. One of the better comedies I've seen.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:59 AM

I just turned to Ong-Bak and realized I saw it before, like 2 years ago, maybe more. Freakin awesome, must see!
Old 08-03-2007, 06:23 AM

I have seen lord of war last week and I wasnt impressed, it lacked allot of details and could have been much more. Though the movie didnt suck but I woudnt recommend it.

The Illusionist, as a fan of edward northon I might be abit subjective but I liked the movie allot but I can see how some people dont like it.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Hannibal Rising: awful, D-
Old 08-03-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think American Beauty is one of the more overrated movies out there. It's just really trite. It's not really bad, it's just very "there" and not nearly as convention challenging as some folks seem to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. The suburbs are boring. Guys wack-off in the shower. Middle age man has mid-life crises. Big time [censored]-phobe is actually gay. Pretty standard, nothing real ground breaking. Mildly entertaining, but that was all.

It was nice seeing pretend High School girls naked.

[/ QUOTE ]
another vote for overrated. for a much better film on the theme of suburban ennui, see "the ice storm."
Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM

Brokeback, Capote, Motorcycle Diaries are among my favourite movies.

Tambien is really good.

I like An Inconvenient Truth but I teach high school geography so I'm biased [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Haven't watched any of the other movies cause, well, I'm a bit of a movie snob. I definitely recommend those 5 though, especially the 3 first mentioned.

Ryan
Old 08-03-2007, 04:24 PM

I hated The Ice Storm. Hated it. But I dislike all of Ang Lee's movies because they move so slowly because they love themselves. Awful performance by Kevin Kline, and I like him a lot. American Beauty was, IMO, far better and more entertaining. But neither qualifies as a bad movie people should avoid.
Closed Thread