Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Grand Theft Auto IV delayed until next year.

"An interview with the UK's Official PlayStation Magazine reveals that Rockstar's creative VP Dan Houser believes the 360 is impairing the development of Grand Theft Auto IV. According to the magazine's online partner, Computer and Videogames, Houser says the lack of a guaranteed hard drive and the smaller storage space of the DVD format is limiting the game's progress."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/785/785344p1.html
Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM

Dire - ask someone who's opinion you trust to read through the posts you make. Then ask them if you sound like a complete douche.

I think you will find the results to be rather compelling.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dire - ask someone who's opinion you trust to read through the posts you make. Then ask them if you sound like a complete douche.

I think you will find the results to be rather compelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL
Old 08-03-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"An interview with the UK's Official PlayStation Magazine reveals that Rockstar's creative VP Dan Houser believes the 360 is impairing the development of Grand Theft Auto IV. According to the magazine's online partner, Computer and Videogames, Houser says the lack of a guaranteed hard drive and the smaller storage space of the DVD format is limiting the game's progress."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/785/785344p1.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Please drop the disinformation. Have you even bothered to read the interview this was based on? Though I've been unable to find an exact transcript - if one even exists; I was able to find the exact question and a summary of his response with 2 minutes of googling.

[ QUOTE ]
During an interview with Official PlayStation Magazine, Rockstar's creative vice president Dan Houser was asked: "On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep." He continued, "To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet." The difficulties aren't limited to working on Microsoft's box, as Houser explains that "both have enormous challenges" and that "both have their own particular pleasures and pains".

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no need for disinformation here. Oh yeah. If you weren't aware, this was all taken from an interview.. IN APRIL.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no need for disinformation here. Oh yeah. If you weren't aware, this was all taken from an interview..

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."

[/ QUOTE ]

That quote confirms exactly what he was saying.

[ QUOTE ]
IN APRIL

[/ QUOTE ]

Which would be relevant if the 360 core had been discontinued or if 360 wasn't still using the DVD format. As none of those facts have changed the date of the article is pretty irrelevant.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dire - you sound like a complete douche.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-03-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's no need for disinformation here. Oh yeah. If you weren't aware, this was all taken from an interview..

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."

[/ QUOTE ]

That quote confirms exactly what he was saying.

[ QUOTE ]
IN APRIL

[/ QUOTE ]

Which would be relevant if the 360 core had been discontinued or if 360 wasn't still using the DVD format. As none of those facts have changed the date of the article is pretty irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question was horrible and loaded, and really tarnishes the credibility(?) of "Official Playstation Magazine." It's like if you asked him: "Is the PS3's lack of SPE caching and extreme cost for branch misprediction resulting in additional complexity for the PS3 port or resulting in extra time being taken to work with the hardware?" If he said no, he'd be blatantly lying - much like he'd be blatantly lying if he said not having a guaranteed HDD creates limitations. You could then take that out of context and say he claimed the PS3's poorly designed hardware and overall architecture is delaying and restricting GTA IV, but that's just plain disinformation.

This sort of disinformation and destruction of context is the reason you're rarely able to get a straight answer from executives on anything.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:41 PM

Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 PM

You may not agree with my conclusions, but I've never spread disinformation. I make a point to include any relevant links / proof where it's not common knowledge. And as for any 'reading between the lines', I provide the entire quote with as much context as possible, as in this thread. It's also clear where my interpretation begins, and the 'facts' end.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:28 AM

I wonder if it's a legit delay...or maybe they've decided Bioshock is a higher priority? Or maybe they've finally come to their senses and realized they need to devote their resources to getting that Age of Wonders sequel out.