Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Default How did I play this?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $24.90
BB: $25.00
Hero (UTG): $12.80
MP: $26.30
CO: $33.50
BTN: $12.10

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8 8 (6 Players)
Hero calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, <font color="red">CO raises to $1.25</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $1.00, MP calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q T (3 Players)
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="red">CO bets $1.25</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $11.55</font>, MP folds, CO calls $10.30

Turn: ($27.20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q T K (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($27.20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q T K 6 (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $27.20 ($1.35 Rake)

CO had T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and LOST (-$12.80)
Hero had 8 8 (three of a kind, Eights) and WON (+$13.05)
Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: How did I play this?

Don't play shortstacked, dont limp/call preflop
Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 PM

dont play shortstacked
dont openlimp pf
bet out on that flop, many draws are out there
check raise allin is too strong on that flop but he called you because you were shortstacked imo

i recommend you to read all the articles in the sticky, get a proper bankroll, if necessary move down in limits and play big stack poker
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 AM

In terms of results, there's nothing to complain about for you in this hand.

I think CO's call of your all-in checkraise on the flop was pretty bad, though. That said, if he had made a regular-sized c-bet in the first place, your checkraise would not have been such a big overpush. And you options were kind of limited (well, once you check and he just bets $1.25), given your stack size, since a normal ~pot-sized checkraise would basically be a obvious invitation to play for stacks anyway.

In any event, leading into the preflop raiser on the flop makes some sense here. It makes use of your relative position (with MP trapped in between) and also would make it simpler to get your stack in without really representing the monster hand you actually have.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of results, there's nothing to complain about for you in this hand.

I think CO's call of your all-in checkraise on the flop was pretty bad, though. That said, if he had made a regular-sized c-bet in the first place, your checkraise would not have been such a big overpush. And you options were kind of limited (well, once you check and he just bets $1.25), given your stack size, since a normal ~pot-sized checkraise would basically be a obvious invitation to play for stacks anyway.

In any event, leading into the preflop raiser on the flop makes some sense here. It makes use of your relative position (with MP trapped in between) and also would make it simpler to get your stack in without really representing the monster hand you actually have.

[/ QUOTE ]Yup.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont limp/call preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Can't we call with this hand UTG for set value? Are we really raising this up from UTG? This is a situation where I call all the time, is this a leak?

I know we often just call with a hand like 88 from the blinds, how different is UTG?

What happens when we raise and get called? We are out of position with a medium PP.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:28 AM

I don't want to get into the small/mid PP limping argument, but limping here is fine, don't let the other posters convince you that you violated some fundamental principle. I find mixing it up to works out the best for me, but limping is no crime.
But you have to bet this draw heavy board in hopes you get raised. As played, villian's call was bad, prolly a function of you being shortstacked.
PS...stop playing short, drop down in stakes if you need to.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:49 AM

Limping here is not fine and is a crime.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 AM

I hate limping here. It might be ok, because hero doesnt have a bigstack.
If you openlimp from UTG, the whole table will limp behind. You wont take down the pot on the flop. I raise PPs UTG all the time. Most of the time i'm playing OOP, but if they coldcall, they are in a fit-or-fold mode and if i bet into them on the flop, they'll show me if they like their hand.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:06 AM

I'm starting to think i'm the only winning player in micro that buys in short for a large percentage of the time....