Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Dealer Comments On Your Play -- What Do You Do?

The worst thing I have ever had a dealer say to me while at a table was " What's the matter not playing as many hands tonight" which I thought was wildly inappropriate as the game was playing way too loose so I had decided to sit back and wait for premium. However I elected not to cause a scene or even shoot a glare and tried to play it off as just cold cards. It is a pet peeve of mine when the dealers comment on play, and try to incorporate themselves into the table talk, however the tourist and casual players seeem to enjoy it so I do not cause a stink.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just tell the floor, don't stiff the dealer on future pots

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah sure
Old 08-03-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just tell the floor

[/ QUOTE ]

The ONLY correct answer in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only give partial credit for this answer. While the dealer is out of line (in MOST contexts), people are getting WAY too bent out of shape here.

My full correct answer to "Nice bet" is an enthusiatic "Thanks!" with a big goofy grin as I happily rake my meager pot. Folks, we're playing 1/2 NL here, who gives a flying **** what the dealer thinks about our play? I realize most posters are trying to argue etiquette and proper rules, but there is a strong undercurrent of "How dare he critisize my carefully honed game?!?!" running through this thread. Lighten up, Francis.

I play to win $$$$ and have fun. The best method I've found is to look and act like one of the gang, ie. a moron who's there to gamboooooool. I believe it's been pointed out before that fish will gladly rebuy repeatedly if they're losing to a fun table. Overreacting to stuff like this will almost always kill your action, and probably drive the fish to a friendlier pond. My god, have those who advocate TELLING THE TABLE not to tip even THOUGHT about how this will affect THEIR bottom line? At the table, my ego and everything else comes second to the game. If this dealer needs a little reeducation, then by all means have a calm chat with the floor on your next smoke/snack/bathroom break. But your primary consideration in dealing with this (or any) situation is how your game and your profit will be affected by your actions.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 AM

Default a KITN is in order here

I would have immediately in no uncertain terms told this guy he was way out of line and to keep his commentary to himself. Then I'd skip the tip a few times, but not forever.

When dealing I'd LOVE to sit there and spew forth my own special brand of play-by-play analysis, with no shortage of witticisms and player assessments. However, I'd have some very sore nuts very fast, especially given that I'm a sarcastic SOB. Other than perhaps the occasional nice hand or nice play, I keep my commentary to myself. It's the only way to deal.

Al
Old 08-03-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Re: a KITN is in order here

Wow, all these replies and still no-one mentioned the proper response.

"Unlimited Hold-them rewards my bold and aggresive play."

or

"I put them to a decesion for all their chips"
Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 AM

Am I the only one that wouldn't care one bit about this comment and would still tip him on my $7 win? I'm confident enough in my own ability that I don't really mind if anyone critisizes my play.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:51 AM

Heres a question I have for ya... what's your play if a player makes this exact comment to you?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heres a question I have for ya... what's your play if a player makes this exact comment to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

With a wide-eyed look of wonder and fascination, I'll say "Wow! I see what you're saying. Thanks for the help." I love having know-it-alls at my table. 90% of the time, they suck.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that wouldn't care one bit about this comment and would still tip him on my $7 win? I'm confident enough in my own ability that I don't really mind if anyone critisizes my play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably wouldn't tip him on the $7 win, but I also wouldn't care much about it, which is why I say blow it off with an appropriate retort. Keep the entertainment going and grow a thicker skin.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No problem, he's not working for tips.

So if you ask your waitress for extra butter for your baked potato.
And she says, "With your waistline? Nice play." Is she getting the full tip from you?