Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Bad money managment?

Hey guys. I've been playing poker for 14 months now, and I've read a few good books which have taught me a fair amount. In general, I'm a winning poker player and I'd put myself quite above the average player.

As such, I put in 50$ at Pokerstars, and started with fullring NL10. Played my way up to 140$ and proceeded by going 6-hand. At 220$ I thought I'd test the level of NL 25, and have been doing well there. At this very moment, I'm at 280$ (started NL25 today).

So my question is, is this bad money managment? My roll only allows me to buy in roughly 11 times which really is not a lot. Should I go down to NL10 again, even though I feel relatively comfortable at NL25?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Bad money managment?

you should have at least 20 buy ins. a couple bad beats can bring ur BR down significantly. evn if u feel comfortable, its best to keep playing 10nl until you are near 500 dollars. (wish i could follow this advice, my impatience has screwed me over many many times)

to make it more interesting, just play multiple tables of 10nl that way you will not only win more money but also learn to make your decisions automatic, essentially mastering the level.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 PM

If you never want to worry about the possibility of going bust, and you have no way of refunding your poker account if you do.... Then you should move down to $10nl until you have like 20 buyins or whatever.

Otherwise, I would keep playin 25nl, and if you really are a winning player, then you'll probably make your 20 buyins a lot faster. If you drop a few buyins really fast though, be prepared to move down.

This is basically advice that I have read on these forums and put to use myself. Check the sticky-ed posts in uNL and SSNL and you will find a lot of useful info and you won't have to ask about it.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. I really do understand what you're saying - I've taken a few bad beats and 25$ or more really hurts my BR. I suppose I'll jump down to NL10 again and play my way up to at least 400 dollars before going up to NL25. Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:13 PM

Stay at 10NL until you have $575 IMO. Then drop down again if you go below $500.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stay at 10NL until you have $575 IMO. Then drop down again if you go below $500.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Some would even recommened you go $650+.

Don't be in a hurry to mover up. You're beating the NL10 games. Relax and pad the BR as much as you can. Here is an awesome post to consider as well: BalugaWhale
Old 08-02-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Some would even recommened you go $650+.

Don't be in a hurry to mover up. You're beating the NL10 games. Relax and pad the BR as much as you can. Here is an awesome post to consider as well: BalugaWhale

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that great link and I have decided to apply a similar concept to my game. Im going to grind out 20 buyins per level then move up. I guess its kind of along the same lines. Im almost done with NL .02 on stars after 4k hands.

The experience won't hurt and I will pad my roll at the same time.