Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Overpair vs. flop push

Been playing for about 10 orbits now. MP opener is very LAGgish at 57/39/4.5. Preflop, he hasn't limped yet, but is loose with his raises including opening 92s from UTG for a minraise and J6s on the button for a minraise. He has also opened ATs from the CO for 3.5BB, so his bet sizing may be based on hand strength. Postflop, he has exercised pot control with bottom pair and check/jammed for a huge overbet on the flop with a gutshot/flush combo draw.

Button cold caller has been tighter at 25/19/2. He's been folding a lot to postflop aggression including c-bets and donk bets and hasn't really made it to showdown. The only other time I remember him cold calling preflop was with a small pocket pair against me. He floated the flop with his underpair and bet 2/3 of the pot when I checked the turn to him and checked behind on the river.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($9.15)
SB ($9.35)
BB ($8.05)
UTG ($10)
MP ($19.75)
Hero ($11.35)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.9</font>, Button calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls $0.60.

Flop: ($2.85) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8.25 (All-In)</font>, MP folds, Hero ???

I'm assuming preflop is ok since I'm trying to isolate the LAG. Postflop, I've been trying to avoid stacking off with overpairs and Button's cold call of my preflop 3-bet has me worried. I know I'm ahead of smaller pairs and flush draws, but is wanting to fold here that bad?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Overpair vs. flop push

I don't like preflop. If you're trying to isolate raise more to at least $1.20, maybe $1.50. If MP player is unlikely to shove you are still offering good odds to everyone behind you.

Range for BB after his shove? I'm going with 44, 66-AA, 56, 67, and [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Had you made a bigger preflop raise I wouldn't fault you for playing this like the nuts on the flop.

As played however, and given your read on button (setminer), I think you're beat and can fold.

Remember, folding is aggressive play. Not wanting to stack off here is not bad.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Overpair vs. flop push

Preflop is standard. If the LAG opener was the one pushing over you I'd get all-in. But with the tighter button coldcaller pushing over, I think you're behind fairly often. I expect his range is AK:diamond, KK-JJ. AA usually reraises preflop. Against that range you're about a 4:1 dog, so its a fold.