Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 04:39 PM

Default $10 190 person MTT -- Crucial heads up pot

I started this thing with a 5-1 chip lead. Doubled him up once when I missed a draw. He's a very solid player and I'm definitely worried.

Hand #1214636764001211: $2,000 GUARANTEED!
Seat 5: badbeatjonny (63230.00 in chips)
Seat 10: Hero (221770.00 in chips)
badbeatjonny posts ante of $150
Hero posts ante of $150
badbeatjonny: posts small blind $1,500
Hero: posts big blind $3,000

Dealt to Hero [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] (my stupid lucky hand)
badbeatjonny: raises to $7,800
Hero: calls (he had been making this raise a lot and I felt if I caught any pair I'd be good to go almost always)

*** FLOP *** [ 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Hero: checks
badbeatjonny: bets $15,900 (Here I put him squarely on ace high and I thought he was good enough to fold with 40k left if I could only convince him, so I decided to take a shot, albeit, possibly a hasty one)
Hero: is all in
badbeatjonny: is all in
Rubicant: returns uncalled bet $158,540

*** TURN *** [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]

*** RIVER *** [ T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]

*** SHOW DOWN ***
badbeatjonny shows A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and wins $126,460 with Pair of Tens

So I made a good read but also made the wrong play apparently. Is this straight inexcusable spew or does anyone see any merit to it?

Incidentally, after this hand I lost a huge flip with 97ss to Q2o on an 8s Ts Qd flop and finished 2nd >_<
Old 08-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: $10 190 person MTT -- Crucial heads up pot

if you think that he's way better than you are you should definitely avoid playing big pots out of position. In most cases you want to end the hand pf by either raising or folding.
Thus, fold pf here.

It's hard to comment on the flop play without actually having watched the HU session and knowing how you played pots before.

In vacuum, I would bet out 5-7k here and see what he does. If he calls and I dont improve I let the hand go.

As played, I'm not checkraising a pot sized continuation bet with a hand this weak ever. if you get called you're never ahead and on balance drawing to 3 outs. Just fold.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:57 PM

What chh said. You have a ~4:1 chip lead - why do you want to play garbage out of position? If you think he's out of line, RR - whatever you do, don't call OOP here, unless you want to trap with a monster. Just fold in this case.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:06 PM

But it's like barely a min raise and he's doing it a lot. Seems like I'm giving up a lot of chips if I fold to it every time.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it's like barely a min raise and he's doing it a lot. Seems like I'm giving up a lot of chips if I fold to it every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say fold only - you can RR. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] He's a smart player playing taking advantage of position. You should do the same. Here, your hand sucks - so either throw it away or RR. Don't call with [censored] OOP. If you RR, he probably shoves, and you don't have to double him up.