Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Late stage PS $11 O8 MTT rebuy Hand

14 to go, 7-handed and getting near FT bubble. Hero has about t28,000 in MP+1 and has been pretty TAG the whole way through but just got moved to this table like 8 hands ago.

Hero picks up A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. There are a couple shortish t10-t15 stacks but both SB and BB have me well covered with around t70K and t120K from what I remember. I'm getting pretty short with blinds at t4000/8000 so with this hand I figure I still have some fold equity and it's decent enough to go with so I raise to t24,000, expecting to call any re-raise (obv).

Thoughts? Thx!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Late stage PS $11 O8 MTT rebuy Hand

Harrington would say push any two. And you you have 4!!!! instead of just two and they look quite sexy so get it in.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:33 AM

I think this is a suitable hand to raise/call all-in with. You have a decent 2-way hand if called. (A4 is decent for low, aqj for high with a suited ace has pretty good high capabilities).
Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 AM

Late in a tourney when you are getting short push any hand that has a sooted Ace-wheel card and decent connectors, especially if they are high...You are most likely dominating any other Ace hand and you have a good (for a short handed game) low...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Fairly new to the game but if you dont push this hand just what are you going to push?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Awxx suited with 3-4BB = easy push. Against good players you probably don't have much fold equity, they know your range is widening and should call with just about any 4, but that's OK too - your hand is better than a random hand.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 PM

A bit of contrarian thought for funzies.

In PLO8, you can also go 'cockroach', whereby you are short stacked, but if you continue getting into choppy situations, you can make some more trips around the table without dying.

In this particular situation, you have 28 K, and it costs you 8K to see a flop, and you've got 20 behind. That may sound insane, but if you have anything at all on the flop you pot it, and you have a teensy bit of fold equity, but you'll be called down with top pair, and almost any low draw. If you brick 100% and they bet into you, you can crawl back under the sink until the next hand.

I love Harrington, but I've found he cannot be univerally applied to PLO8 MTTs.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 PM

Frank, very interesting POV...I don't know if it is applicable in PLO8...I think the FE in this game comes by putting pressure on the others preflop...

I'll give you a perfect example:

I was playing in a 2000 FPP satellite to the WCOOP PLO8 tourney...I was really low on chips (maybe had like 1300-1500 or so) and the blinds were 75/150...Everybody folded to the button, who limped (with about 2300-2500 chips to start the hand), the SB folded and I got to see a free flop with T633, T high spades...The flop came A3x, 2 spades...I pushed most of my stack in the middle, the button put me all in with A355...Turn was a spade, river a low and I scooped the whole pot with a 10-high flush...

Do I see this flop if this guy raises me pre? Hell no, I muck and wait for a better spot...But he let me flop pretty much perfect for my hand and I was able to double up with a hand I should have never seen a flop with...

This is the problem with limping and trying to create FE on the flop...It just really doesn't exist and only in the rare circumstances that your opponent has some EXTREMELY marginal hand on the flop or has complete air to begin with...In which case he woulda folded to your pre-flop raise...Might as well give them no way to get lucky...
Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bit of contrarian thought for funzies.

In PLO8, you can also go 'cockroach', whereby you are short stacked, but if you continue getting into choppy situations, you can make some more trips around the table without dying.

In this particular situation, you have 28 K, and it costs you 8K to see a flop, and you've got 20 behind. That may sound insane, but if you have anything at all on the flop you pot it, and you have a teensy bit of fold equity, but you'll be called down with top pair, and almost any low draw. If you brick 100% and they bet into you, you can crawl back under the sink until the next hand.

I love Harrington, but I've found he cannot be univerally applied to PLO8 MTTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flat out wrong. If you limp you are gonna play it against 2 blinds and hands run so close that you will be the underdog vs 2 players most of time. But if you raise and manage to pick up the pot uncontested your stack grows by 50% which is huge and if not, you will flip with dead money added from the blinds which is also good.

Or another situation if someone limped ahead of you and you have a good hand that plays nicely for both ends you have to put him all-in because if you overlimp you may win less when he escapes.

EDIT:

And the logic I take flop and pot it to make everyone else fold when I have something and dump it when you have nothing is just mindbogling. Are you trying to minimize you winnings? Why would you like to create fold equity when you have something that has showdown value.

And Harrington concepts aply fully to omaha MTT and you can begin to push even earlier and more liberal because you will almost never run into a hand that has you 7-3 or 8-2 dominated.