Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Made couple of mistakes stud hi

You're out of position relative to the raiser. Your raise should tend to knock people out, when you'd really like to keep them in. The value of three-flushes depends some on implied odds, and every raise shortens your implied odds. If you knew that all the limpers were going to call, then raising would be OK, but even there, I prefer to keep the pot on the small side so that the rest of the hand is easier to play. If you just call, you are pretty much guaranteed that you'll have a five-or-more-way pot for one bet, which is very nice for your hand. By raising, you run the risk of having it be three ways for three bets, which is a lot less attractive.

I've read 7CS4AP twenty-something times. Some of it's starting to sink in.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:58 PM

For stud hi, you can't re-raise 3rd st. with that hand. You definitely fold 5th.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:36 PM

I don't think you're taking into account that your reraise could very well get you HU against the ace raiser which is the last thing you want. You make much more money when they call and you get to jam 4th or 5th with your flush draw against their one pairs or gutshots.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:57 PM

I agree with wanting to keep people in on 3rd. I have heard the idea of raising to eiminate players in case u improve otherwise but i think that is just fundamentally wrong. Reese advises for fourth and third you want to see as cheaply as possible and want to keep people in the pot. Everytime i hit a flush i want to get paid. I may even raise on third with FOUR parts if i'm going to get 3/1 on my money on a 2/1 proposition.

Basically everytime you put money in this pot it was a mistake, u should not have even called a raised pot on thrid. Calling a raise on a draw usually means you will not be in a multiway pot (and starting with three on thrid is not good, because usually you will be heads up by fifth--you want at last four callers on the early round and that happens more often in a unraised pot), but reraising to drive more people out.

Did the hand end with seat 7 just having Aces that did not improve and did he win.

You should not have won with a bluff (I say should not would because you never know what people would do) but i think a pot that big a guy even with just aces will still have to call you down, with no open pairs on the board.