Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Brandon Phillips Double Steal

What a sweet play.

[ QUOTE ]
hmmmm... There have been cases where a stolen base is not awarded because the defense allowed it to happen without a throw, ect...

Maybe this is one of those?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no expert on the rules, but I think that "catcher indifference" or something like that means 2nd wasn't stolen. There was no attempt to stop the stolen base. 3rd was stolen though because of the throw. Just a guess on how it was scored if there was only 1 stolen base on the play.

EDIT: I now see Cincy was down 0-7, so I think this is definitely a textbook case of "catcher indifference".
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pedroia went first to third on a cleanly fielded walk last night.

[ QUOTE ]
Pedroia tried to hustle the Red Sox into a scoring opportunity in the bottom of the inning. The rookie second baseman hit a one-out single and Ortiz followed with a walk. Catcher Ramon Hernandez took a couple of steps toward the mound after ball four and Pedroia never stopped running, moving all the way to third.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i had been waiting for something like this to happen forever with the shift on ortiz, so sweet
Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 AM

also just because there is no throw doesn't mean defensive indifference. if it's a close game and you just get such a sick jump they know they can't get you, it's a steal. defensive indifference is when you're up like eight runs and stealing bases to pad your stats.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also just because there is no throw doesn't mean defensive indifference. if it's a close game and you just get such a sick jump they know they can't get you, it's a steal. defensive indifference is when you're up like eight runs and stealing bases to pad your stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, which was the case (7-0, no throw). However, rereading the article it says it was scored as 2 steals, so maybe they decided the throw to 3rd cancels out the indifference.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Pedroia tried to hustle the Red Sox into a scoring opportunity in the bottom of the inning. The rookie second baseman hit a one-out single and Ortiz followed with a walk. Catcher Ramon Hernandez took a couple of steps toward the mound after ball four and Pedroia never stopped running, moving all the way to third.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a similar play, Pedroia was running and Chris Gomez (O's 3b), who was shifted into the SS hole with Ortiz up, went to the bag to receive the throw. There was no throw, and Pedroia stopped and then took off, beating Gomez to third.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:06 AM

so balla
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 AM

The only thing similar that I've ever seen was this play, which is just as mind-blowing.

May 21, "Koo Makes It Exciting"
Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing similar that I've ever seen was this play, which is just as mind-blowing.

May 21, "Koo Makes It Exciting"

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there video of his previous AB against Johnson? I think that one makes this video even better.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a similar play, Pedroia was running and Chris Gomez (O's 3b), who was shifted into the SS hole with Ortiz up, went to the bag to receive the throw. There was no throw, and Pedroia stopped and then took off, beating Gomez to third.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg that is so awful if you're an O's fan like me.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:34 AM

I use to do this in little league all the time...lots of 3rd base men / pitchers not paying enough attention.