Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 06:25 AM

Default AA paired drawy board. Play fast or slow?

Cryptologic - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $46.75
BB: $54.75
UTG: $39.00
CO: $59.25
Hero (BTN): $85.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>, SB calls $2.75, BB folds, UTG calls $2.50

Flop: ($9.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $6.00</font>, UTG calls $6.00, <font color="red">Hero raises to $16.00</font>

So, I decided to raise for information/value here. If called I plan to check turn for pot control.
1) I see that raise is not enough to protect from draws to str8, but drawer should be aware of paired board and discount his oods not even saying that hes out of position.
2) If I raised more I would be pot committed and I didnot wanted to, because of paired board and 2 opponents showing strength
3) I am ready to fold to allin raise. Big leak?

Comments welcome on my play and reasoning.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Re: AA paired drawy board. Play fast or slow?

I would just call here and re-evaluate the turn. The fact that UTG called is really worrying me. The raise will not drive away the possible draws.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 AM

I like your play. I would raise too, but a pot sized raise is much more appropriate. SB in most cases has a T, I don't see him calling with a 9 in many cases. 99 is too unlikely. UTG limps and then calls the raise. In most cases this is a very fishy play. He could do it with 77 or something, but still.

You're raise on the turn should be good enough to scare the straight draws away. And with that mostly the T's too. Like you're saying, they are out of position on a paired board, you don't have to overdo the bet. Especially since they won't call alot since they will be committing themselves to the pot seeing their small stacks. A raise to 20-25 is likely to be good. If any of them call you should proceed with caution and your hand is likely to be done with.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're raise on the turn should be good enough to scare the straight draws away. And with that mostly the T's too.

[/ QUOTE ]
why should I push T away? I think I would love T call. Thats why I raised to 16
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 AM

I'm not saying that you should push T away, I'm saying that most people with a T will probably fold to the raise that was intended to push straight draws away.., especially since they probably don't want to commit with just a T
Old 08-02-2007, 08:04 AM

I think the pots too big with too little behind to fold AA in this hand, at any point.

i hate the idea of puttin in half your stack with a plan to fold to further agression. i'd say your commited on the flop and i'd shove.

UTG's range is pretty wide, a draw, weak made hand, 9, you're ahead if his range. I think SBs range is more weighted towards a made hand; a T or possibly an overpair, a 9 or obv could be a draw too, or just a probing bet with an under pp...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 AM

I'd pot the flop being ahead of enough hands to justify it here.

Still scared of UTG overcalling.

Any stats on these guys?

I think i overplay big pairs in these types of situations though.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any stats on these guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thay are both not good. Especially UTG. That is the fact why I am a bit more concurned with 9.
If UTG was TAG, I would flat call/reevaluate
Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM

This is very very player dependent, does the SB always call raiser out of position, does UTG limp than call, is he calling because he thinks he has the odds now to call? Is this table this loose? If you know the answer to any of these questions, than I think the Pre-flop raise is where the trouble started. Yes, you want value from AA, and yes, that is a good raise on a "normal" table, this table does not look normal. As played, if you are called by either or both, THEY are pretty much pot committed. Sometimes, no matter how you play a hand, you will lose. "Variance".
These Villian are the reason we play poker.

IMO.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:12 AM

i look to call a shove here, IMO, you lost to a 9 which UTG probably doesn't have limping (not sure, player dependent) and sb will probably fold to your raise and you lost to pocket 10s and thats just a cooler so we move on, i think if one of them shoves and the other folds, this is an easy call IMO, variance sucks but your way ahead most of the time to call-- besides that i like the way you played it, nh