Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Re: London visit advice

London is awesome - but it's good that you won't havr a budget worry.

i live just over an hour away and go a few times a year.

for food and shopping- i recommend Covent Garden. some really cool shops like Ted Baker and Paul Smith and other limited stuff. also tons of smaller names with great stuff. the food there is really hip and generally healthy.

The British Museum - we had some aussie friends stay with us last month and we took them to the British Museum. what can i say.... they loved it... LOL. no it was amazing... but 3 hours was my limit. it is f'ing hudge. HUDGE I TELL THEE. AND IT'S NOT FREE YOU CHEAPSKATE. IT HAS A RECOMMENDED DONATION OF £3, $5 OR 5 EUROS. fwiw - i didn't donate... but i am a student and was bored for a lot of it anyway as i was the chaperone. also... my taxes pay for it's upkeep anyway. yours don't. so pay the $5! it realls has everything. huge sections from about every period in history. there were about 60 people crowded around the Rosetta stone so i didn't bother getting closer but it's hard to miss. tons of other stuff. the dome in the middle of the Museum is huge. and that is just the lobby where you sit and buy drinks etc.

other less serious stuff -

Harrod's. especially if you're not low on funds. it has everything. Bloomingdale's in NYC was cheaper but Harrod's is sick. $20k speakers? check. Antonius watch? check. the food court is amazing there too. much better at Christmas though.

Football grounds - ok SOCCER...... W/E you call it. in London go to either Chelsea or Arsenal. google them.

also try the Gutshot poker club in Central London...

try Stringfellow's strip club!

drink beer in pints - no bottles!

also try a boat tour of the Thames river. they go on for about 40 mins and show you all the landmarks like the Houses of Parliament. the HoP are amazing but hard to get into. i have connections there so have been many times but there are tourist tours - LDO.

so museum, covent garden, try bond street and oxford street, see a soccer ground........

gl.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 AM

Guys this is great. Thanks so much.

Anyone have a Theater recommendation?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

woman in black
Old 08-02-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you really have your heart set on a single production going to one of the official 'last minute' sellers that are dotted around the city are always a good option.

They are small stalls that sell tickets to shows that aren't fully booked within around 48 hours (or there abouts)- if you find one they will have a pretty big list of shows that will be for sale for around half price (in fairness if you really are not worried about the cost you can always check theater listings online:
some decent sites - http://www.timeout.com/london/

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whats-on.aspx

also it may be worth checking out whats on at the Barbican, probably my favorite place to burn hours in London
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out London Theatre. It's a very comprehensive list of what's playing in London, both now and in the future, as well as theater news, cast lists, reviews, etc.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks samsdmf and Analyst, those great. I never mind saving money, and like you guessed, I couldn't even name a current production, let alone have my heart set on one.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
last time i was there outside it they had this 'photos from above' art display of photographs taken around the world from helicopter. obviously that won't be there now but there may be something similarly cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I went to this too. Have the book of all the photographs at home somewhere, really awesome.

I would definitely recommend checking out a play at The Globe, really awesome place to go watch Shakespeare, also Hampton Court is only a short trip away from the city. Its kinda like the Versaille of England.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've never seen Les Miserables, definitely see it in London. Even if you've seen it before, see it in London. Shows every evening except Sunday. You can get tickets on line, and discount tickets are available, but maybe not this close.

One of the top shows of all time. I've never met anyone who didn't like it.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:47 PM

Tate Modern is cool, and on the river. Walk around the free stuff
and have a drink at the bar on the top floor. Great views.

London Eye is a tourist trap but on a clear day the views are awesome.

For Indian's you need to see Brick Lane just to experience it.
Some of them are not great so you need a "local" to pick out
a good one. 10 yrs since I lived there.

Get Time Out or a free paper and see some live bands - a quick
skim in NME or similar will tell you what is there. Go to the
small pub venues - Hope & Anchor etc. in Camden/Islington.
Depends a lot on taste.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:12 PM

Indian - Go to Rasa which does outstanding Keralan food. Central branch on Dering St just off Oxford St, original in Stoke Newington which is a bit out of the way. Don't miss the pre-meal snacks and chutney plate. The beet curry is also fantastic. Good value, as well.

If you REALLY don't care about the price, go to Rasoi Vineet Bhatia near Sloane Square. Amazing Indian food using high class ingredients. Probably set you back 120-150 dollars before drinks and service, though.

If you want to try something British and really good, go to St John or St John Bread and Wine. Very good food, often using interesting cuts of meat (the motto is 'nose to tail eating'). Not exactly cheap but surprisingly reasonable by London standards, especially as I've seen St John turn up several times in lists of the world's top 50 restaurants. A reservation wouldn't hurt for either. An alternative British place is an excellent gastropub called the Anchor and Hope on the Cut near the South Bank (Southwark tube). No reservations taken and great beer while you wait.

If you like food generally, well worth going to Borough Market near London Bridge station for lunch, especially on a Saturday. Incredibly high quality food and usually a decent number of free samples. Buy a small amount of the four year aged acorn-fed jamon. Ridiculously expensive (about $35 for 4 ounces) but it may be the most delicious thing you will ever eat in your life. The two year aged version at a third of the price is great as well.