Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 12:36 AM

Default 3/6 razz ugly board but villain checks?

Another hand from my first-ever Razz session, so be nice.

Villain in this hand seemed like a decent player - he was playing fairly tight starting cards, did not seem to get out of line, etc.

His check on 5th street, though, had me utterly confused. He led 4th street representing a draw to a 6 but then checked when he caught good and I bricked on 5th street?

Does his line make any sense at all? The only logic behind this that I can see is that he made an 8 and (correctly) assumed that I would fold if he bet 5th street, and chose instead to let me catch a draw in order to extract another bet from me on 6th street.

Razz ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (5.33 SB)

Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.67 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (3.67 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (5.67 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (5.67 BB - $34)
Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: 3/6 razz ugly board but villain checks?

sometimes ppl will check a hand way ahead in the hope of letting an opponent catch one good card that might get them to call extra bets. Pairing a hidden 8 is also possible. That said, folding 4th is highly recommended.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 AM

Pot's too big to fold fourth. Get SOP. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I can't see anything I'd do differently here. I'm guessing the other guy wants hero to catch up on fifth, which is pretty stupid.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 AM

3-5th perfect.

6th street the pot is 3.67 bets. You have implied odds of a bit less than .5 bets at most, so we can call it an even 4 bets

Hero has 12 outs weighted vs the villain's likely range. He has seen 14 cards our of 52 , which leaves us 38 unseen cards - Hero has a 31.5% chance of improving, which is 65.5:31.5 - this is equivalent to 2.1:1 odds against improving to the likely winner. Its such an easy call to make on 6th, but you are likely a small dog. You played the hand well.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 10:01 AM

I think you played the hand correctly throughout.

Caveat: Some players at smaller stakes really only look at their own cards and auto-check out of reflex when they pair. This doesn't seem to be the case here but is possible.

Story: A couple of years back in the $1000 entry Stud 8 at the WSOP an older mediocre-at-best player called on the river with no low and was unable to beat his HU opponent's board of 2 pair for high. When another older gentleman politely asked why he called when he couldn't beat the other player's board his reply was "I don't look at other's cards". Could've been a vision thing but it didn't seem like it.

Patty
Old 08-01-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played the hand correctly throughout.

Caveat: Some players at smaller stakes really only look at their own cards and auto-check out of reflex when they pair. This doesn't seem to be the case here but is possible.

Story: A couple of years back in the $1000 entry Stud 8 at the WSOP an older mediocre-at-best player called on the river with no low and was unable to beat his HU opponent's board of 2 pair for high. When another older gentleman politely asked why he called when he couldn't beat the other player's board his reply was "I don't look at other's cards". Could've been a vision thing but it didn't seem like it.

Patty

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, great story Patty. I'm quite sure he was at my table in the WSOP razz tourney as well [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 PM

There was an old guy, now deceased, who played $2/4 stud about every day at Canterbury Park for years. He would hold each of his cards up about two inches from his face as they came off the stub. Occasionally, he'd ask about someone's board, but he didn't worry about such things for the most part.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was an old guy, now deceased, who played $2/4 stud about every day at Canterbury Park for years. He would hold each of his cards up about two inches from his face as they came off the stub. Occasionally, he'd ask about someone's board, but he didn't worry about such things for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I regularly play the limit holdem games in the high stakes room at the Borgata. I'm fairly sure that about half of the regular players in those games don't even pay attention to their own cards, much less the board or the actions of anyone else in the hand.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:29 AM

I think, you don't have the odds, TT gave to your hand, because, if villain has A3, then any 6 won't help you, therefor you have to discount maybe 2 of your outs. You then have 10 outs = 26.3%, so your fold on 6th street is ok for that reason.
But the really interesting question is indeed: why did he check on 5th street? He can't expect to checkraise, so he is suspicious to have 1 high card in the hole. He bet again, when he got his 5th(?) low card on 6th street. I can't imagine another reason for checking, especially, as you saw him as a decent player. But this is of course very speculative, so it's an open question wether to invest a BB for seeing his cards. I lost some money with that strategy. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]