Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: ***August Fantasy Baseball Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so I'm in 6th place out of 15, but don't think I have a real chance at winning.

one of the contenders has Phil Hughes ($3), another has Gallardo, ($6) and I have Wang ($13). I'm interested in trading Wang to get one of these guys who I can keep for cheap next year.

I'm not even sure either are a downgrade for this year.

that said, I don't think one guy will agree to give me Hughes for Wang. the other guy will do Gallardo for Wang I think.

now, I would much rather have Hughes than Gallardo, especially at $3 cheaper. but, I will likely have to give up something else at another position to get him. for instance, I would include Adam Dunn and he would include Thome (neither are keepers)

so, what is better for me:

Wang and Dunn for Hughes & Thome
Wang for Gallardo

?

or, am I wrong in thinking that $3 Hughes is better than $6 Gallardo?

Hughes is supposed to be a better talent, but has to pitch in the AL East. Gallardo will be pitching in front of what should be a great offense (Braun, Fielder, Hart, etc) for years to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just go for Gallardo. Due to mostly to his league Gallardo should outproduce Hughes from a fantasy perspective. It's questionable if it's by $3 depending on how the salaries work out in your league. I'd take Wang for Gallardo, then start to work on a Dunn for Hughes deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh, so both owners realized they were giving up too much.

to get Hughes (& Laroche) I now need to give up Prince. demands for Gallardo are similar (best case would be Prince for Atkins & Gallardo).

I guess these are the deals that are done down the stretch in keeper leagues?

I'm clearly losing in both of these deals, but I don't think I have any real chance of winning.

standings look like this:

Team 1: 132
Team 2: 130
Team 3: 129
Team 4: 125
Team 5: 115
Kneel b4 Zod: 114

looking at the cats, I could see myself gaining 10ish points..but not much more. I've effectively punted both AVG and Hitting K's, so I only have so much room to gain.

time to punt 2007?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM

With the Gagne trade, what is the value of Otsuka and/or Wilson? When is Otsuka projected to return?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the Gagne trade, what is the value of Otsuka and/or Wilson? When is Otsuka projected to return?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ostuka should be back fairly soon. he's a decent reliever on a bad team. so I would consider him a low end closer option.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:55 PM

I thought Benoit was likely to win the job?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone see any point to holding on to Jack Cust? I kept him up to the trade deadline hoping the A's would trade someone to make room obviously that didn't happen. Should I just dump him outright?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like he is still going to play a lot. I thought Piazza coming back would send Cust to the bench, but he's been playing ahead of Stewart. Unless there is someone out there who is a must have, I think I'd hang onto Cust at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he's still getting playing time, but only about 50%. There is no way (that I can tell) to predict which days he plays either.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:11 PM

If you cut Cust, who are you considering? Where do you need help?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just made another massive move. I moved...

Miguel Cabrera
Frank Thomas
Ivan Rodriguez
Randy Johnson
Eric Gagne

For

Victor Martinez
Felix Hernandez
Carlos Zambrano
Javier Vazquez

[/ QUOTE ]

This one's better. You are basically giving up Cabrera for four guys that can legitimately help you, assuming you're going from IRod to VMart at catcher. Whether this deal actually helps you or not depends on where you are in the standings. Going from Cabrera to Atkins makes your offense is much worse, even with the big upgrade at catcher. If you've got a lot of points to gain in pitching, especially wins and ks, it could be worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

"No. I've seen teams do this year in and year out, and it's never worked out for them. The gameplan is the exact opposite of what you propose. You take your mediocre stars and trade them for superstars."

Didn't OP just do the exact opposite? I'm not saying that Santana trade is the right one, but the principle behind it is correct. OP here traded away the best player for four solid players in an attempt to gain points in the standings.

Also, I am not talking about improving your depth with any of these trades. The point in giving up one player is to acquire players who will significantly upgrade several other starters, not those who will rot away on the bench.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you cut Cust, who are you considering? Where do you need help?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well in my H2H leagues any bat I can stick in on off days would be an improvement.

In my one roto league I've already put Lastings Milledge/Coc Crisp in. I had to cover Utley as well, I'll probably keep Crisp once Utley comes back. Now I'd probably swap Cust for a reliever to try and help bring down my era/whip and pad my K's, Al Reyes is available.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 AM

Start Guthrie against the BoSox tmw?

It's a head-to-head league and I currently have a solid lead in ERA... a little bit of a lead in WHIP. Up 2 W to 1, 18 Ks to 9. I'll get 7 more starts this week and 6 of them from #1 guys.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:45 AM

Keeper League

Should I hang on to Weeks to give up on him? I made a mistake with Cano earlier this year and cutting him too early. I don't want to repeat the same for Weeks next year for my keepers league.