Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Need a new set of irons

First post here, I didn't think it would stray from being poker related but here we are. hahaha

Please, remember that there is a DISTINCT difference between clones and many component brands. I've hit KZG PCIII and Infiniti 422 (both great, soft cast clubs) in the last year and they are both GREAT irons at lower prices, if my srixon i506's weren't so perfect for me, I'd happily play components. I'll stick to the major brands for my recommendations though...

MAJOR OEM choices for 25 cap:
-Cally X-20 (X-20 tours are a piece of cake as well)
-TM R7 (R7 tp's are easy too)
-Mizuno MX-25 or MX-19 (my pick of the bunch)

I hover around scratch so these irons are not what I will ever have in my bag again, but they are all good quality irons. Stick with X-20, R7 and MX-19 if you're looking for raw forgiveness and X-20 tour, R7 tp or MX-25 if you intend on buying irons that will help improve your ball striking while still remaining forgiving enough. Consider taking the 3 and 4 irons out and replacing them with hybrids.

No matter what choice you come up with, getting them correctly fit is of infinite importance.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:00 PM

OP, whatever set of irons you decide to get...GET THEM FIT FOR YOU. Most places do it for free if you buy them from there and you will love your clubs 1000 times more than if you use whatever is in stock and you get. I don't think I can stress it enough over the interweb board.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:34 PM

I bought a set of Mizuno M-19s about 3 weeks ago...great clubs.