Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Serious question, do I just plain suck?

Me and my friends play a home game tournament every 3 days or so. NLHE tournament winner takes all. Buyin is usually 5 dollars. Now I remember when we first started playing, I would consistantly get to the final 2. I'm the most knowledgable person at the table, I've read HOH and another book by a couple pros and I read stuff online, but I haven't won in over a month. Everyone there sucks balls, but seeing as I can never win, doesn't that mean I suck too? Well actually I know the answer to that question, but I'm hoping somebody will tell me something that will give me an excuse for losing.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Serious question, do I just plain suck?

You may be suffering from FPS (fancy play syndrome). If the players are as bad as you are making them out to be then stop trying to run tricky bluffs, or bluff in general. Play solid abc poker, and you should be able to beat them.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:20 PM

As a poster? Yes. As a player? Not enough info to really tell....lol

Structure, playing styles, format, etc. are all needed to help determine if this a game where the participants are playing poker or if you're all just goofing off for the chance to win $50(10 players?)

And reading some books and online threads does not automatically make one a good player. Might make you a little more knowlegdable than others, but then "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing"

Give us some more specifics and we can better answer your question.

Good Luck
Old 08-01-2007, 09:29 PM

you're probably trying to bluff too much against calling machines. just hammer them when you know you have the nuts and you'll take them out one by one
Old 08-01-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me and my friends play a home game tournament every 3 days or so. NLHE tournament winner takes all. Buyin is usually 5 dollars. Now I remember when we first started playing, I would consistantly get to the final 2. I'm the most knowledgable person at the table, I've read HOH and another book by a couple pros and I read stuff online, but I haven't won in over a month. Everyone there sucks balls, but seeing as I can never win, doesn't that mean I suck too? Well actually I know the answer to that question, but I'm hoping somebody will tell me something that will give me an excuse for losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no excuse for losing other then you need help in areas of your game. if this game and players are really that weak then this game sounds like it should be easily cracked. i would suggest playing ABC poker for the most part against players that will pay you off when you have them beat. making sucker bets will most likely be paid off and start playing position poker with them. with out more information on the players and basically everything else its going to be hard to help you any farther.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 PM

i havent read the replies but honestly i preffer just limping every hand once ur heads up ... ur oppenent will never know what u have and since it is heads up its not like most situations where if u limp huge u might get out flopped... simple reads that u should already have on ur common opponenty are usually right ... i used to play home games with a good group of poker players and the best player at our games wasnt me but i started figuring out that he used his rep to make people fold .... Rule#1 EVERYONE THINKS THERE A TRAP ARTIST .... continuation bets are very common in heads up play ... use logic and u should be able to beat people ur better than
Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 PM

abc poker is always good ... once people give u that credit of playin SOLID abc poker thats when the bluffs come in to play
Old 08-02-2007, 01:10 AM

What I'm pretty much asking is if I can't beat sucky players does that make me sucky?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I'm pretty much asking is if I can't beat sucky players does that make me sucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in this structure.

In a WTA tournament you HAVE to come in first to win anything. Once it's heads up, luck becomes a HUGE factor and stack size is a HUGE advantage.

Think of it this way, if you were playing a standard 50-30-20 SnG structure, never won your home game tournament but placed in the money half the time, then your ROI would be $12.50/$5.00. Put another way, you could expect to double your money every time you played in your home game.

Sounds like you're seriously ready to grind some sit & gos.