Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: UTG with JJ late in a 10/180 + Table Image Considerations

All,

Even with the loose table image hasn't the others at the table shown that they are looking for a good hand to play back at op with given all the times he has standard raised and picked up the blinds?

So if he standard raised to 3BBs again and gets raised but not pushed on you could assume the opponent has a pretty good hand right? And be a little more cautious post flop.

Also OP is UTG where most of his other raises has come from MP and a couple times late EP, which might also have the table thinking his range is tighter there.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:59 PM

For me if this guy is raising every hand and i pick up KK when he raises, im just gonna smooth call it. Tbh Im thinking if someone shoves over the top of hero's raise we have to call as im sure a lot of the time the player would try to trap hero with QQ+ due to his LAG image.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Even with the loose table image hasn't the others at the table shown that they are looking for a good hand to play back at op with given all the times he has standard raised and picked up the blinds?

So if he standard raised to 3BBs again and gets raised but not pushed on you could assume the opponent has a pretty good hand right? And be a little more cautious post flop.

Also OP is UTG where most of his other raises has come from MP and a couple times late EP, which might also have the table thinking his range is tighter there.

[/ QUOTE ]

HNIC,

If you had just been moved to a new table and someone raised UTG what would your reraising range be?

If you had been at a table for a while and someone was raising pf often and had stolen 4 hands in the last orbit and had shown his (good) cards twice raised under the gun what would your reraising range be?

Do you still stand by your post?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 PM

Not to be a devil's advocate, but it seems telling that the normal raise/fold line only surfaced after I posted the results of the hand. I apologize if I posted the results prematurely. I think it's somewhat of a moot point to be arguing what the button might have done if I had opened for 3xBB instead of shoving, but since the point has been raised, I'll share some more of my thoughts.

Personally, I can say with near certainty that I would have called a reraise AI in this situation. FWIW, button was 18/13.7/2.0 over the 51 hands I played with him. A tight player, but I can definitely see him making that kind of play with AK. The only way I could see myself getting away from this hand would be if he had put in a small raise after I opened for 3xBB. I have seen this play often in the 4/180's and it usually indicates a very strong hand (e.g. KK, AA) begging for a reraise. At that point, I might have slowed down and just called his raise and maybe--MAYBE--gotten away from the hand on the flop.

Joey has a point that reminds me of a concept from TPFAP. In the section called "A Special Last Two Table Situation" (p. 80), Sklansky argues that QQ could be folded to a short-stack AI on the bubble since stealing has been so profitable. The situation here is not quite the same, but I think the concept still has some bearing since stealing had been quite profitable from almost any position with ATC in this 4/180. That being said, I still don't think I'd be able to fold JJ here.