Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Re: PSA---Remember to backup your PT databases!

walkamongus,

Thanks for adding some info on general backup strategies.

I have never used Acronis True Image but i do have Norton Ghost on my system.

This process of backing up your entire hard-drive to one large image file (i.e., using Norton/Acronis) is ideally suited for those with an additional separate hard drive (could be external or internal). It allows the program to maintain to a continuously up-to-date backup of your entire hard drive. Of course these programs also work without the extra drive, as long as you have a DVD burner (as the image files obviously tend to be quite large). Additionally, without the separate hard-drive you must be vigilant about burning regular backups.

What is the point of using Norton/Acronis if I already regularly back up my important files?

Once installed and configured this type of setup will literally save you days of work in the event of system catastrophe. In the event of complete hard-drive corruption (or any other soul destroying malfunction causing data loss or system malfunction) you can have your computer up and running exactly as before within a matter of hours rather than days. The operating system, all of your programs, your settings, program updates, your files, etc., etc., are restored from the image file in one simple step. No more hours and hours of installing program after program with all of the necessary but endlesss updates.

Cheers,
Sean