Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Help with designing a Access databases application

Can you point me to a good reference manual to get me started with my first Access Database? Has anyone already done somthing like this that you would be willing to share?

This project may be more that my experience will allow but it looks like a good excuse to learn something new.
I have tried to find a good reference manual in my local Barnes and Noble, but they are either too simplistic for what I want to do, or too far above my current ability level.

I am currently using a very large spreadsheet, Poker Tracker, Stat King, and many shoeboxes full of paper notebooks to track my poker play.

None of the applications are ideal for more than a few things.

Poker tracker is perfect for online play but does not allow for live sessions.
Stat king is OK for keeping basic records, but does not allow tracking anything smaller than $1 nor does it allow for tracking the misc expenses of live play (tips, meals, parking, or with a little luck a jackpot bonus).
My spreadsheet is close, but has grown very big and clumsy over the years (not to mention the need to double enter data from Poker Tracker into the spreadsheet.

I would like to combine it all into one database application.

Some of the things I would like to be able to look at are...
win/loss data within a date range
win/loss by time of day
win/loss by game limit, with the ability to add or delete things like kill games or unique betting limits.
Figuring an hourly winrate that allows for total time played and also actual time played (in the case of online multi-tabling).
The ability to track several different types of play and multiple locations in a single session.

One more twist to this project is I would also like to have a form on my PDA that I use as the data entry point.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Help with designing a Access databases application

A database is just a series of tables, columns, and rows that are rigged to let you store and access data in an organized manor.

I typed in "help creating database with access" into google and this came up:
http://www.bcschools.net/staff/AccessHelp.htm

It seems like a good start.