Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: This is a good idea and I smoke weed
Agree 15 46.88%
Disagree 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: KG traded to Celtics for Jefferson/othercrap

I think many Boston fans were just desperate for any hope.

if this gives us a 3 year window to compete, and then in the 4th year we have no good players and are the worst team in the league, I'll take it.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[The implication is that they had no other choice. I disagree.

Really though, it's the culmination of the last two deals involving Roy/Telfair and #5/Allen, two bad deals that backed them into a corner resulting in this deal, the coup de grace that cemented the franchises fate for the next decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if Ainge planned this or if it fell into his lap or as you say he was backed into a corner to do it. But as I posted here I thought the Allen deal was terrible if that's all there was. The Telfair deal got the Ratcliff contract which was also a key piece.

So it remains to be seen if Danny is a dunce if this fails or a genius if it works. But as a Celts fan, after 21 years of non-competitive teams, I'm glad he took a shot.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The implication is that they had no other choice. I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but compare the KG trade to say what Zeke has done...

The idea that you shouldn't mortgage the future to win now is a pretty gray area, in my opinion. The franchise owes it to its fan to put out a competitive product. And not every team can win a championship.

What Ainge has done, in broadstrokes, is put the Celtics back on the NBA map for the next 3 years or so. And he landed freakin' KG and Ray Allen still in their primes...

-Al
Old 08-01-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kid,

The Rockets tried this experiment once before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another comment on this: they tried their experiment when Hakeem was 34, Drexler was 34, and Barkley was 33. They pretty much had a one year window.

KG will be 31 (lots of regular season miles, though, but not lots of postseason miles, physical freak of nature), PP will be 30, and Allen 32, and he's just a jump shooter, unlike Clyde. Our window is a little bigger.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They had Al and Rondo and a bunch of replaceable parts. Gomes was a keeper, but really shouldn't be starting in this league.

It was no Deng+Gordon+Hinrich+Ty+Knicks pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...saying Rondo is replaceable but Gomes was a keeper? now THAT is crazy. Sure they woulda preferred to keep Gomes but minny wanted one or the other (Rondo or Gomes)...Rondo is a starter for this team - and a good one at that - period.

dumping gomes was the right move.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kid,

The Rockets tried this experiment once before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another comment on this: they tried their experiment when Hakeem was 34, Drexler was 34, and Barkley was 33. They pretty much had a one year window.

KG will be 31 (lots of regular season miles, though, but not lots of postseason miles, physical freak of nature), PP will be 30, and Allen 32, and he's just a jump shooter, unlike Clyde. Our window is a little bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's really not an apt analogy at all. All three of those guys were at least a couple of years past their respective primes, as stats will bear out.

This looks more like when Barkley was shipped to Phoenix. At or slightly past his peak he had a monster year, as he was finally surrounded with a cast that could win it all. I could see KG having that kind of year, as he'll see fewer double teams and have incentive to win for a change. None of those three Rockets players had enough in the tank for that to happen.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok...saying Rondo is replaceable but Gomes was a keeper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hell are you getting this from? I said, "Al and Rondo and a bunch of replaceable part." Is it not clear there that Rondo is not one of the replaceables?

Losing Gomes isn't a killer, but I agree with Clark that it's a sign of poor negotiation. They definitely should have been able to swing something to keep him. He'd be a valuable bench player right now. He does exactly what you want a guy subbing in for the 3 and 4 spots to do. Defends decently, rebounds well, can score opportunistically.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
None of those three Rockets players had enough in the tank for that to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they still had a pretty good run at it.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Clark...if Boston made a couple of Finals in the next 2-3 years, then struggled mightily for the next 5 years or so, would you consider this a failure?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a results-oriented fest. What if they make a finals, lose, and Jefferson and Green develop into all-stars.

Stinking for 5-years is optomistic. It's HARD to rebuild from scratch. I think doing this move is a sign that they weren't even comfortable that they would get there in another 3-4 years with their current nucleus, which was already 3-4 years in the making.

To reiterate above, Jefferson for KG is at best marginal. He could be better than KG (and a better fit due to his playing style) in 2 years. To add in high quality parts like Green and two first rounders, in addition to a handy guy like Gomes is a massive, massive premium.

Said another way, I am guessing this deal makes them about 4 wins better this year, maybe no wins better next year, and totally guts their cap space, flexibility, and long-term prospects. Jefferson is 22. That's a ton of future to give up, even if he doesn't develop much at all, which seems unlikely.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:37 PM

I will give anyone 100-1 odds that all three Boston teams don't win the next three championships.

I will accept up to five, five dollar wagers. (That's all I can afford to lose)