Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: small buy in, just after buble facing big bet on flop holding trip

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also like to make it 2.5xBB once blinds and antes get bigger (accomplishes the same as a 3xBB raise would and you safe some chips)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we do this? By raising just 2.5xBB we price in the blinds to call us with holdings like suited connectors and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said .. if everyone folds to a 3xBB raise they also fold to a 2.5xBB raise. You take less risk and get the same result. Also, if you are getting called and are somewhat forced into a c-bet you once again lose less if you get shoved on.

I guess it all depends, how active you are. I'm very active once the blinds and antes get big, and I raise a lot of pots. In my case it's better to raise 2.5xBB because I don't always have a big hand. In most cases I just want the blinds and antes.
If you are a tight player, than raising 3-4xBB may be better, because you are not looking for a cheap steal. You want to build a pot and are not afraid of a big c-bet.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 PM

first of all thank you for all those replies I didn t expected that many

it is indeed a result driven post but i have had worse beat and dont mind that much losing here(we were already in the money)

as for the 2.5x raise I must add that I was just back from a 6.5k stack and at that point needed to steal a lot without commiting too much and though that 4x would look suspicious don t know what you think

you must be right but may I ask some clarification about a bigger bet on the flop

as I said I have the deck crilpled against many calling hand after all few ppl play 52o against a raise ?

so by betting more who can call ? umlikely ace (actually I am very new but this smallish bet would look like a probe bet to me and I would probably reraise with and ace)

trips but I will get action there too as they will need to protect their draw

a flush draw which do not get the right price to see one card and that i can punish on the turn if flush card came and stack if i turn a boat

of course it is a 2gbp tourney so I am wrong and maybe an under pair could stay around catch trips and I stack there

again sory for the result oriented post but i am for the moment focusing on my losses and on the moment i though I should have folded given my read he was on a draw

take care

nico
Old 08-01-2007, 04:05 PM

The preflop raise is fine, nothing wrong with 2.5x. The flop bet is atrocious, I don't care about draws even, it's just bad poker to make tiny bets when you make a big hand then make big bets when you're bluffing. You're trying to get all the money in, you have to make sizable bets to do that. Sets, flush draws, straight draws, and the case A are pretty much the only hands you're going to get action from here (maybe a stubborn PP, but doubtful) and they'll all call a nice sized flop bet, so the small one does nothing to help you. Also, when you make a tiny bet like this, most draws will just call, whereas if you had led something like 2.5k, many draws would shove over the top knowing that they likely won't have odds to call another bet on the turn, so they want to get AI with FE while they have 2 cards to come. With your tiny bet, they know they will most likely have odds to call a turn bet, or better yet get a free river, so they'll just call the initial 1k flop bet.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:24 PM

thank you for the answer it is much clearer right now

i usually don t make small bets with good hand but on that flop i really though it was appropriate

thank you again

I am at the bottom of the learning curve

by the way just had the nearly same situation with trips kings a minute ago

this time i bet go bad beaat but at leat i had the money in before hand ...I am happy (would have been happyer with a win but still it feels good)
Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also like to make it 2.5xBB once blinds and antes get bigger (accomplishes the same as a 3xBB raise would and you safe some chips)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we do this? By raising just 2.5xBB we price in the blinds to call us with holdings like suited connectors and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said .. if everyone folds to a 3xBB raise they also fold to a 2.5xBB raise. You take less risk and get the same result. Also, if you are getting called and are somewhat forced into a c-bet you once again lose less if you get shoved on.

I guess it all depends, how active you are. I'm very active once the blinds and antes get big, and I raise a lot of pots. In my case it's better to raise 2.5xBB because I don't always have a big hand. In most cases I just want the blinds and antes.
If you are a tight player, than raising 3-4xBB may be better, because you are not looking for a cheap steal. You want to build a pot and are not afraid of a big c-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your point, yes, but you are advocating a 2.5xBB raise once the antes kick in, stating the overused phrase "if they fold to a 3xBB bet, they will also fold to a 2.5xBB bet". It's not depending solely on how active you are, it very much depends on how deep you, and the rest of the table, are. It also depends on if they really will fold to a raise, regardless of this raise being 3xBB or 2.5xBB.

In this case, we're dishing out 3.4 to 1 odds for the big blind to call us. I happily call from the blinds facing odds like that. Furthermore, BB was described as a loose player, why not charge him more for a call? Because he will probably call a 3xBB raise, and frankly, not many online players really notice if Hero has raised a lower amount earlier. I can accept Hero was willing to risk getting outdrawn, in order to double up with a premium hand, but he should have charged more and not underbetting both PF and on flop.