Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Stud/8 (part of $3 HORSE MTT) - Backed into low 2 pair

Hello. I'm a new poster, but a long time reader of the forums.
No real reads on any of the players.

1. Was the limp ok on 3rd? Should I have raised representing split aces with other callers in pot?

2. As played, should I hang around on 5th/6th?

3. Assume I hang around to the river and Seat 5 bets, with what river cards should I be calling with (besides raising with a 3 or 7 if I make a boat)?
a) 4 (making a 74 low)
b) 5 (making a 75 low)
c) 6 (making a 76 low)
d) 8 (making a 87 low)
e) an ace (aces up, no low)
f) blank (2 or high card)

Tournament - HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level X (270/540), Ante 54, Bring-In 81 (converter)

Hero: 2,067
Seat 2: 1,855
Seat 3: 5,318
Seat 4: 8,142
Seat 5: 6,313
Seat 6: 2,625
Seat 7: 3,262
Seat 8: 7,127

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.80 SB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.40 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (3.40 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___?
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Old 08-01-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 (part of $3 HORSE MTT) - Backed into low 2 pair

I am pretty sure that Seat 5 has almost the same hand as you do, i.e. two pair with a low draw(maybe flush draw too). If he had 4 to a low on 4th, he would have bet; same thing goes if he had 4 to a flush I think.

The problem is his two pair probably beats yours for the high, about the only thing you are head of is pocket 6s.

I bet 4th street here every time. I also raise 5th if bet to. If I would have checked 4th, I raise 5th.

As played, I call 6th and raise any 4,5,6,7 (3s are dead) and just call with 8 or A.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM

1. Raise 3rd and bet 4th.

2. As played fold 5th but if you call 5th now I think you have to call 6th.

3. Raise a,b,c. Call with d and e. I think it is most likely when he wakes up betting into your board on 5th that he is betting his strong high prospects. After pairing on 6th he probably was a big favorite to make something by the river that has 7733 beat if it wasn't alrerady beat on 6th. What could he have that he would play this way that you can scoop? 5h2c 8c4c5c4s brick? OK I'd stay in rhythm - call f too.

This hand has become quite complex by 5th and 6th. What does he have, what is your EV against his range, and is he just betting because no one showed strength. Then there is that board of his. That's why I would have made things a lot simpler by being more aggressive early. I hate calling down when I don't know where I'm at, though I do it often enough.

Patty
Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 PM

Third's fine. I'd like raising more if the limpers didn't have up-cards higher than your pair. Bet fourth for crying out loud. You have a pretty good hand and a very strong board. Two people have checked to you, and the guy behind you was the bring-in. Get your money in there.

With the tiny pot, folding fifth can't be that far wrong. The bettor probably doesn't have anything that threatening, so I think that calling is OK. I recommend that you call sixth and catch a Seven.