Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 PM

Default a beginner question about poker strategy

Im a micro-Nl player(overextending bankroll to play 25$nl). I have been playing 1.25 years.
My computer went down a month ago, which took my PT database with it. So im starting new, doing well. I feel that I am playing more aggressive now. Im playing close to 20/18/3.5.
My question is concerning my aggression.
I started raising my pocket pairs in the blinds at weaker-ish tables when called down to me, i used to just call for set. My thinking is ,1. I could take pot there and then. 2.I have bigger pot when I hit set or when i c-bet it down. Is this fine to be doing? Or is it bad for business?

I hope i have not wasted anyones time.ty
Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: a beginner question about poker strategy

i think the general rule here is - when you hit your set and get paid off, will it cover the chips you have lost when you previously raised and missed your set.

Also - if your opponants miss the flop you may take it down anyway with your pair so this also needs to be taken into account.

At the lower levels where there are nearly always a few limpers I would just call and hope someone hits top pair or even two pair, where they will most certainly bet big into you.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:04 AM

Raise with PPs unless you are playing at a table of where the VPIP is something outrageous.

By raising you do a few things.

1) You are in control of the hand. No matter what comes on the flop 99% of the time it will be checked to you. So if you want to cbet and take it down right there you can, or if you missed completely and feel your opponent my CR then just check and get a free card hopefully for the set.

2) You are building a bigger pot like you mentioned. If the flop comes very flat 2 4 7 Rainbow, and you cbet with a made set, opponents will put you on 2 high cards and sometimes try to push you off, or a mid PP will call you down the whole way.

When you show strength on a very monotone board most of the time opponents will fold thinking a set if you didn't raise PF.

The main reason to raise is for control of the hand.

The only time I just flat call is if I'm changing gears. If I've raised the past 4 hands in a row I will slow down and just call.

Hope this helped!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:04 AM

thanx for the responses. Im goin to keep an eye on my PT to see if this is helping.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 AM

You should almost always raise your PP's pf. Why:

*you steal the blinds if they all fold

*Flopping sets / monsters in unraised pots is basically a crap pot.

*People are more likely to go broke on raised pots than unraised pots, they will bluff you more and ship more money your way.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 AM

in your case the best thing to do is pay attention to position with your low pockets out of position. i would recommend not raising with low pockets OP if u are at a loose aggressive table. in position all day long, ull get paid when u hit...