Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: BR: 100 buyins, even at $11 SNG?

[ QUOTE ]

I am playing the Party 11's for a pretty reasonable ROI [about 40% over around 50 games].

[/ QUOTE ]

40% is more than reasonable. (Maybe you were being sarcastic?) It's been pretty much established that such a high ROI isn't sustainable in the long run.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Learn turbos obv.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of those weird people who likes to play after the flop sometimes...so no turbo's for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel ya i hate those damn things to.
if you donīt get a decent hand or flop the first 20 minutes your kind a forced to make a risky bluff or toss the coin.

i wonder what levels you are playing with 900buyins?
I hope itīs at least the 20īs...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 PM

Sometimes I wish that sngs would start with BB at t100 b/c postflop play is for ppl who are good at poker lol.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am playing the Party 11's for a pretty reasonable ROI [about 40% over around 50 games].

[/ QUOTE ]

40% is more than reasonable. (Maybe you were being sarcastic?) It's been pretty much established that such a high ROI isn't sustainable in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am aware that 40% is not sustainable, and that a sample of 50 is miniscule. But it is an indication at least that I don't completely suck.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am aware that 40% is not sustainable, and that a sample of 50 is miniscule. But it is an indication at least that I don't completely suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's an indication of nothing. If anything it shows that you've been getting cards or getting lucky which can cause leaks quicker than anything. Be careful when you're running hot to keep reading and studying and don't fall into any nasty habits.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:34 AM

The question is, how certain do you want to be that you'll never go busto? Someone made a nice chart a month or so ago, I forget which thread, that charted ROI's vs. risk of ruin to give the BR needed in # of buy-ins. For example if your ROI is 15% and you want to be 95% certain of not busting, you needed 50 buyins. (Can't remember exactly, just an example. There's formulas to calculate this, google risk of ruin, and use 1.7 buyins for the standard deviation (seems to be the agreed upon figure long term) and you can get an idea, I'd suggest using just a 10% ROI for any calculations just to be on the safest side, but to answer your question I'd say 100 buyins is very safe if you can beat 10% ROI...something you'll need to play about 1000 SNG's to have some real confidence in.

Then of course, what happens if you start with your 100 buyins and go on a 30 buy-in downswing? Now you only have 70 buy-ins. Then effectively you're starting again with 70 buy-ins, since future games are theoretically independent of past games, there's no guarantee that this will just statistically correct itself. All this is simply to make the point that if you want to be as certain as possible of never busting, you must either be willing to adjust your bankroll (reload) or adjust the level you are playing. Never reloading and never dropping down will always result in some risk of busting, however small.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:47 AM

I am now convinced that you guys are right, and 100 buyin is the sensible way to go.
But ROFL playing Party $3 SNG's.
In fact the extreme variance of SNG's is pretty offputting to me.
Maybe I will focus on cash games after all. I just keep getting nailed at NL25.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:29 AM

FYI I beat the 22s on party for %13-14% ROI over 5000+ tournaments, and yesterday I lost $800 which is 40 buyins.

However, I've only had 3 downswings that big in the last year.

So 50 buyins is sufficient if you dont mind rebuying once or twice a year.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:45 AM

Someone want to calculate how long you have to play to move up with 100 buyin requirement. Its silly.

Play at a level where you have 40-45 buyins, move up and take a shot at the next level with 40 (for that next level)or so, always move down with 30 or less.

If you are a winning player you will leave way to much money on the table adhering to a 100 buyin rule. That rule would be ok for someone who is already earning a good living playing high level sngs and is trying to protect a substantial bankroll upon which their livlyhood depends.