Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 12:53 AM

Default AQ with Q on flop - Make the call or not?

I am really having trouble deciding what to do in a situation like this - most hands that can be looked at 'post mortem' have a relatively obvious decision, and maybe this one does too for some of you other guys...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($400)
MP ($272.65)
CO ($723.20)
Hero ($504.50)
SB ($746.85)
BB ($712.80)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $22</font>, Hero calls $22, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls $14.

Flop: ($72) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $48</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $701.2</font>

What to do, what to do?

Wasn't at the table really long with either player - the MP was generally a calling station, often made tiny bets with 2nd or 3rd pair (and would call bigger bets with those hands). The CO was generally a tigher player (under 20%), looked to be a solid type.

Given the fact that MP is shortstacked, the push looks to me like an attempt to isolate and maybe even just take it away - possibly a flush draw, maybe even KQ or another AQ. Should I put in my precious $482.50, or run away quick?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: AQ with Q on flop - Make the call or not?

Fold, he either has a big draw or (rarely) a big hand, almost never has a queen though where you have him dominated. Against this huge overbet, I think your hand doesn't fair well against his range. He is perfectly aware that you are behind him with a large stack and capable of having a big hand. With that size bet you can wait till you have a big hand here.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:04 AM

Im not a fan of calling preflop raise or fold, I would usually raise.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first raise was minimum, second raise was small... we have position, a pretty good hand, and 125bb... calling here is totally fine, if not preferable
Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first raise was minimum, second raise was small... we have position, a pretty good hand, and 125bb... calling here is totally fine, if not preferable

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. BFT. (Bolded for Truth).

If you didn't have both position and decent eff. stacks, fold this PF. As played, I see this a lot and the villain is often looking for an overcall from precisely a hand like AQ.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold, he either has a big draw or (rarely) a big hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if he has a big draw, then I'm +EV and should call - for example, with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] he has nearly as many draws as he can get (4-5 would be unlikely for him to have), but I'm still a slight fav.

Regarding the preflop action, I wouldn't be a big fan of a reraise, since I think all that would accomplish is to make the shorter stack MP fold, the CO would call with anything decent, and then the flop decision would be even harder - it would be even more likely for the CO to make a push to steal a bigger pot, regardless of what he had. (And folding AQ preflop in position? As mentioned above, that doesn't seem to be a good idea.)

In this particular hand, the villain could not have both a queen and a flush draw, so that can be taken off the list.

[ QUOTE ]
As played, I see this a lot and the villain is often looking for an overcall from precisely a hand like AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, that means you think it should be folded on the flop?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 PM

Fold fast
Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM

folding preflop&gt; reraising &gt; calling

i don't really like flat calling preflop because now you have no idea where you stand on the flop, which is the current problem.

he could have a draw on the flop but i think it's unlikely.

i think you are beat here most of the time by KK AA, QQ but it's unlikely. small raise preflop sometimes suggests that the player wants to get money in the pot but he also wants to get some action on his hand as well.

edit: fold immediately
Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM

Fold preflop.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM

dont fold pf, fold here.