Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: 50NL - Taking on the bully

Bullies do not like to be pushed around and fight fire with fire.

If you think you have the best hand the CR on the turn is fine.

Much of the value from this play comes when he folds. I don't really see him folding much.

I would give him a range of { 77+, AKs, AsQs, KQs, QsJs, AKo, KTo+ } which you are an 20/80 dog against.

He's probably raising with worse kings too.

If he will bet and call with 22 you are a 40/60 dog.

Assuming he calls every time (he only has about 22 dollars behind) you need about 38.5% equity with the rake.

[b]Looks like you can find a better spot.
How many hands is this sample over btw?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the sake of brevity and to generate a few responses, I had mentioned that villain was running over the table.
In more detail: Villain raised 100% of the pots folded around to him (in the last 45min - 1 hr) in the CO or OTB and double barrelled to win most of his pots on the turn or with a standard C-bet. Bet sizes were 3/4 pot or pot sized in genreal.

I appreciate all the repsonses.
Regards,
Carl

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case, I think you can check-raise the flop, taking a stand for cheaper than waiting for the turn. If he lays it down, you can show him you did it with second pair to tick him off, then tighten up and wait to stack him with AA/KK or a set. Will this work?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the sake of brevity and to generate a few responses, I had mentioned that villain was running over the table.
In more detail: Villain raised 100% of the pots folded around to him (in the last 45min - 1 hr) in the CO or OTB and double barrelled to win most of his pots on the turn or with a standard C-bet. Bet sizes were 3/4 pot or pot sized in genreal.

I appreciate all the repsonses.
Regards,
Carl

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a glorious hand against a character that played like this yesterday. he would limp, I would raise with a good hand, he would check to me, I would CB, and he would RR me. If his RR got called he either led the turn or checked and RR'd again.

It had me very frustrated because I laid down some very decent hands. And then the guy next to me called him down to the river and he was playing TPTK this way.

So, the next time I got a hand worth playing it was 66. I opened for my normal 4x+limpers and he called, Flop came 5 6 7 and he checked to me. I bet the pot he 3x'd me. I called. He bet out 3/4 of the pot on the turn and I 3x'd him. He called and checked to me on the river to which I shoved $27 into a $120 pot. He couldn't call and I won about 3 times what I had folded to him earlier.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Okay, I haven't read the replies yet, but why would you not bet this flop after 3betting preflop? To make the line you are taking seem remotely plausible, you need to bet that flop.

Also, if I am raised on the flop, I'm mucking, and feeling good about it.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 PM

Im not a big fan of the preflop reraise oop with a hand THIS week... even against the wide opening range the villain has from the button.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 PM

Hand plays much differently if you make the proper rr pf. Raise it to $7 so that he can't call profitably with any 2 that he raised with legitimately.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish this information had been in the original post, because I think it might have affected the responses.

In any case, theoretically speaking, what Villain is doing can't be good. In effect, he's saying, "I'm going to make it $2 to go and then, so long as I'm just getting called, I'm going to fire another $10-17 into the pot, no matter what falls. And then I'll look at my cards."

It would be useful to know how Villain responds when played back at. I mean, if he's the type to push until someone pushes back and then fold if he doesn't actually have the goods, then 3-betting his preflop auto-raise is like free money most of the time (well, until he catches on).

On the other hand, if he's not going to admit defeat when played back at, then there's no real reason to bloat the pot with T9o, and we'd be better off just calling preflop and then either checkraising the flop or turn if we flop top pair or better. Getting stubborn with middle pair is also possible, though higher variance, since Villain is making meaningless preflop, flop, and turn bets, and a pair is a strong hand heads-up versus a random hand.

The difficulty we have in the posted hand, though, is that we don't really know how much effect our preflop 3-bet had on Villain. If it basically had none, then your postflop line looks good to me (although of course it's always possible we're in trouble against K6o or something). If, on the other hand, he's taking that 3-bet as a warning and is letting it influence his play, then maybe Villain would need top pair or better to play postflop this way.

Your play in the hand is very read-based, and I think it's hard to comment on such a play sometimes without having been at the table.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:17 PM

grunching:

raising T9o OOP against someone who plays back a lot cannot be profitable. I also don't know what ur hoping to accomplish with a turn/check raise? Bluff or valuebet I can't tell, I don't think he's folding any K here very often, and you don't beat enuff hands that aren't bluffs to think check/raising is a good idea.