Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 PM

Default 6-Max Turbo SNG\'s

I'm only playing these as a "trial" as InterPoker have £ games (x2 profit or so) and these are the most popular it seems in what's low volume sng traffic, i'm getting rakeback as well.

Are there any strat guides out there for 6-max sng's?

I'm trying to figure out what adjustments i need to make from my regular 9/10 handed turbo's.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: 6-Max Turbo SNG\'s

I play 6max sng's too but not turbos, i am also having a hard time finding any strategy guides and that sort for them, but basically you just play tight early like a full table, you can loosen up your early hand selection just a little (I think), the important part is the bubble just like any other sng, that's why I don't make much money..i'm not good at bubble situations and that's what i'm working on now. If you are good at the bubble then you shouldn't have much trouble.

I think i'm going to switch to full table sng's, because the hands that i read about here really aren't helping me in 6max.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:08 AM

It's weird how much you do on auto-pilot in sng's. My very 1st game tonight i'm big stack on the bubble - UTG folds, i push 74o like i should, only to realise the bubble is 3 handed in 6-max and not 4! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

With these being turbo's and blinds going up every 6 hands, and a 1000 starting stack your very quickly in push mode.

I'm assuming shoving >10xBB still applies. Shoving & calling a little wider also?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming shoving >10xBB still applies. Shoving & calling a little wider also?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no, mostly SNGPT.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 AM

I've been trying out 6-max games over the last couple weeks, and played about 200 of them, half turbo and half regular, with the turbos on FT and the regular ones on Stars, all at the $6 level.

My basic observations are these:

1. The value of each chip is obviously higher in terms of $$ at the beginning. So I play the first couple levels as tight as I would a 9-man.

2. Doubling up early is much more valuable in 6-max than 9-max. Coupling that with the generally looser play, be willing to take bigger chances early to double (push slightly more marginal hands than you would early at a 9-man). This might seem to contradict 1, but it doesn't. If you do end up involved, that's when #2 starts to take effect. Still be selective about when to get involved early.

3. In the non-turbos I've played, ICM often never comes into play. Often the bubble hits at about BB of t100, and all three players have 20+ BB. At the turbos it obviously applies more often, but not always whereas you will use ICM in almost every 9-man tourney you enter that you reach the bubble.

4. The skill of the players is much weaker than their counterparts at the 9-max $6 games, so if you can make the adjustments you'll earn more (at least at this buyin, I can only assume that it applies at higher levels).

5. I know there are many more differences, so I'm taking the time to learn them. I'm running at about 20% ROI overall, and I was about 10ish at the 9-man Stars $6 turbos. Too early to tell, but I think based on what I've seen that my ROI will be higher at the 6-max by some amount.