Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Trip from seattle to LA

I'm planning to drive from the seattle area to LA. (Never done this before) My car is a 4 cylinder, and doesn't do well on hills, so I was wondering if anyone knows of routes where I could avoid the mountains in CA. I was thinking of taking I-5, is this relatively flat or is there a lot of climbing?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Trip from seattle to LA

[ QUOTE ]
I'm planning to drive from the seattle area to LA. (Never done this before) My car is a 4 cylinder, and doesn't do well on hills, so I was wondering if anyone knows of routes where I could avoid the mountains in CA. I was thinking of taking I-5, is this relatively flat or is there a lot of climbing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made this drive many, many times. The first dozen or so were in an old Nissan Sentra, 1.8L. I never had any problems. The biggest hills, in general, will be in Southern Oregon (maybe the last 100 miles in Oregon). When you get to CA, it will be downhill much moreso.

However, 100 miles north of Los Angeles is the "Grapevine". It's a 15 mile long hill that is fairly serious, but very doable. The rest of your trip will be fairly flat.

When you say your car doesn't do well, does that just mean you have to slow down, or does it overheat a lot? On the grapevine, there are multiple spots that have "radiator water" to help alleviate (albeit not eliminate) overheating concerns.

If you have more specific questions, PM me, I'll help the best I can. However, I probably won't see this thread again.

Good luck,

Josh
Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 AM

I would avoid taking I-5 if you can help it. Its a very quick way of getting to LA, but the most boring drive ever. Its straight and the view is horrible. Plus when you get near the Harris ranch you will experience a smell that will make you wish you stayed in Seattle. I would recommend taking highway 1, for at least part of the way (I-5 south from Sacramento is the part I've been on and am describing). It will be a little longer drive, but it follows the coast the whole way and is one of the most beautiful drives in the country (especially from Santa Cruz down to Carmel and Big Sur). You will also avoid the Grapevine. You don't need to take highway 1 the whole time, 101 from Santa Barbara will get you LA faster and it also avoids the Grapevine. You will have to deal with 1 serious hill on the 101 but once you're over it the road is fine. You can continue on 1 if you want to avoid it but its slow going through Malibu. If you want to know any more feel free to PM me.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 AM

Does anyone have any pics of the views from highway 1? I have heard a lot of good things about this scenic drive. I was in San Francisco about fifteen years ago but did not go up highway 1 and I regret it!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 AM

Old 07-30-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the most boring drive ever

[/ QUOTE ] meh, the norcal/southern oregon stretch isn't bad--you get a really great view of Mount Shasta. You must not drive on the east coast very much.

You do climb considerably at one point--up to like 4000 feet, I think.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the pics!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]