Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Overbet to pot

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($48.75)
BB ($11.05)
UTG ($55.80)
UTG+1 ($40.75)
MP1 ($31.80)
Villian ($42.05)
Hero ($73.85)
CO ($61.85)
Button ($17.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Villian calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Villian calls $2.

Flop: ($5.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $11</font>

I raised preflop because the table had been pretty passive and when I was called preflop, I got very little resistance to my bets postflop.

Didn't really know too much about this guy except he had pulled this move once or twice before.

His stats were: 57.14 / 17.86 / 0.94 over 28 hands.

Pot only had about $5 in it and he bet more than 2x what was in the pot.

What would you do?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Overbet to pot

easy fold. just wait for a better spot
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM

His bet doesn't make much sense, but this pot isn't worth fighting for with what you have. Fold and get his money later.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM

What do you think he'd have to flop to lead out a bet like that?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:36 PM

Even though you said he has pulled this move before I would still wait for a better spot before calling a bet twice the size of the pot. Besides if you do call this bet what would happen on the following streets, do you expect the villian to slow down? I would be nervous playing a large pot with TPWK.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His range is wide but still trouble. Could be Kx, could be 55-TT, could be SD. But Kx is most likely, and most of them leave you well behind. I think these overbets are usually mediocre hands playing scared (correct me if you feel differently), but most mediocre hands he could have are better than TPNK.

If you do anything other than call or push, the turn will suck. You will often face the same decision again, meaning you'll lose $11 or put your stack in on TPNK. The only way you win is if villain is bluffing and does not fire twice. Betting 11 to get 16 on that is not good IMO.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Didn't really know too much about this guy except he had pulled this move once or twice before.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by 'move'? Did he do this then show down a bluff? If he did not showdown, then you will have to assume he is a weak player rather than making a move. Weak players often do this with decent hands to avoid tough decisions.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His range is wide but still trouble. Could be Kx, could be 55-TT, could be SD. But Kx is most likely, and most of them leave you well behind. I think these overbets are usually mediocre hands playing scared (correct me if you feel differently), but most mediocre hands he could have are better than TPNK.

If you do anything other than call or push, the turn will suck. You will often face the same decision again, meaning you'll lose $11 or put your stack in on TPNK. The only way you win is if villain is bluffing and does not fire twice. Betting 11 to get 16 on that is not good IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought calling was simply out of the question. I took his bet to mean he had TPWK or TPNK, but debated whether his kicker was weaker than mine. I then weighed whether he would call a shove with a weak kicker.

Would any of you have thought about it for a bit or would you have decided it wasn't worth your time and instantly folded?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by 'move'? Did he do this then show down a bluff? If he did not showdown, then you will have to assume he is a weak player rather than making a move. Weak players often do this with decent hands to avoid tough decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Move might have been a bad phrase to use. What I probably should have said was that I had seen him overbet the pot on the flop once or twice before and each time his opponent had folded.