Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Need a new set of irons

[ QUOTE ]
go ask any pro what kind of clubs a 25 handicap should buy, it's not going to be forged players irons.

YOu would not like to learn with players irons, they are a biitch to hit for someone learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive read nothing other than "kids are teh easiest students to teach, and pick the game up faster than adults", I kind of figured the same principle would apply to a newb at golf. They may be a bitch to hit for someoen learning, but so are my rx7's, I think if I started off with cavity backs it may take a bit longer to learn, but in the long run it will make things easier.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 AM

I am around a 18 handicap and I just got CG4's and love them. Make suer if you get a new set that you get them lengthened or shortened depending on your height, im 6'4 and it really improved my game!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf would a 25 handicap need forged for?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was too late after I bought my clubs, because everything I have read told me to buy cavity because of how much easier they are to hit, but now I kind of regret not buying forged. I started off knowing nothing about how to play, and just played by trial and error. I think that since I started actually reading and practicing, Id be better off with forged because Id never have to transition if I get good enough to be able to get full use of forged.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are confused. There are basically two types of irons forged and cast. It has nothing to do if they are cavity back irons or not. Hogan, Mizuno, and other component companies (i.e. KZG) make forged cavity back irons. There are no performance difference between cast and forged persay, other than a subjective opinion that forged "feels" softer than cast. Having said that I would wager that if 100 players were given two quality irons, one forged and one cast and asked to determine which was which ball hitting balls, most wouldn't have a clue.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was too late after I bought my clubs, because everything I have read told me to buy cavity because of how much easier they are to hit, but now I kind of regret not buying forged. I started off knowing nothing about how to play, and just played by trial and error. I think that since I started actually reading and practicing, Id be better off with forged because Id never have to transition if I get good enough to be able to get full use of forged.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are confused. There are basically two types of irons forged and cast. It has nothing to do if they are cavity back irons or not. Hogan, Mizuno, and other component companies (i.e. KZG) make forged cavity back irons. There are no performance difference between cast and forged persay, other than a subjective opinion that forged "feels" softer than cast. Having said that I would wager that if 100 players were given two quality irons, one forged and one cast and asked to determine which was which ball hitting balls, most wouldn't have a clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, yes, than I was confused. What is teh opposite of cavity back irons than? and it is true cavity back are generalyl easier to hit right? is my theory right about not buying cavity back for newbs?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, yes, than I was confused. What is teh opposite of cavity back irons than? and it is true cavity back are generalyl easier to hit right? is my theory right about not buying cavity back for newbs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Opposite of cavity back irons are usually called blades or muscleback irons. Cavity backs generally have a larger sweetspot with more perimeter weighting and more offset so thus they are typically easier to hit than blades.

I would disagree about not buying cavity backs for newbs. Many PGA golfers use cavity back irons (Phil Mickelson is one). Often people think that cavity backs can cover up major swing faults, but I think this is a misnomer. Cavity backs minimize your misses thus making the game more fun. Here is what I would suggest for a newbie player in terms of clubs

Driver - The more loft the better
4wd - still adequate distance of the tee, but easier to hit off the turf than a 3wd
hybrids - to replace your long irons (I would go with 2, 3 and 4 iron replacement hybrids). Much easier to hit
irons - 5-PW, Gap Wedge and SW (I would stay away from the Lob Wedge for now)
putter - whatever looks good to you.

Personally I would look for cavity back irons from a reputable name brand, with steel shafts.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
go ask any pro what kind of clubs a 25 handicap should buy, it's not going to be forged players irons.

YOu would not like to learn with players irons, they are a biitch to hit for someone learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forged != Blades....

Mizuno Grad are forged cavity backed clubs.

OP. If you want style and a buttery feel go with forged Mizuno irons. I sound like a rep.... wish I was.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Forged != Blades....

Mizuno Grad are forged cavity backed clubs.

OP. If you want style and a buttery feel go with forged Mizuno irons. I sound like a rep.... wish I was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said forged == blades. I said forged players irons. players irons being blades. I assumed because he was new to golf that when he was talking about forged clubs he meant blades/players irons, which i am pretty sure is what he did mean.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:00 PM

SlyGuy,

Mizuno and KZG both make forged game improvement irons. I think they are the only two but I could be wrong.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SlyGuy,

Mizuno and KZG both make forged game improvement irons. I think they are the only two but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there are forged cavity back irons, thats why i specifically said forged players irons.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:47 AM

SlyGuy,

You said "wtf would a 25 handicap need forged for?"

2 posts after Ghostface recommended forged clubs. He didn't say forged blades, just forged. Later in the thread you specifically mentioned players irons.

That is why myself and others responded the way we did. However, since you say you're aware of forged cavity backs and obv know at least something about programming (!= and ==) I've decided to get off of your back [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]