Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Re: 30/60 Hi Lo Easy call on river with trip As?

It's kinda scary. You could have something really strong here but it's not very likely. Sure, occasionally you'll have a wheel but much more often you'll have a low with gutter or pair plus low draw or a brick pocket pair or a flush draw or whatever. None of these hands are powerhouses. It's a steal situation and your opponent is probably putting you on a wide range because his board sucks and many people will just autobet here.

I think AAA is significantly stronger than the range of hands your opponent is puttting you on given the action. I could be convinced otherwise. If your board was 3457 or something sure, when he raises he turns his hand over. But with A45 your hand range contains many more semibluffs that are sorta weakish.

I can't argue against calling down, it's by far the safest line and the best default line. However, I don't think a tough player needs 45678 to raise you here. I wasn't there so I don't know. I think we can all agree that A45 isn't scary enough to induce a fold from AAA and that's what the OP wanted to know.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 AM

I think the comment about this being a steal situation is not valid.

First having the same low card up as the bring-in 3rd is not a great steal situation.

More importantly though the OP continued to bet on 4th into a 74. To my mind that should guarantee that he had some kind of hand rather than a steal, since he has extremely slim fold equity here.

I actually think a fold on 7th is reasonable if certain assumptions are made about the opponent.

I completely understand people not liking the fold on general principles of exploitability, but the fact is virtually never see someone raising an 874 board into an A25 board without actually having a straight, imo.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Fair enough. Looks like I'm alone on this one. OP obviously lost the hand to the straight anyway so there you go. If we're gonna fold the river unimproved then we may as well just fold 6th cause we're not getting odds to draw.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:32 PM

Id say Insta call. I think you really have to call due to hand + implied odds.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:32 PM

"If we're gonna fold the river unimproved then we may as well just fold 6th cause we're not getting odds to draw."

Pretty sure this is false, although it's close (about 4:1), right?

Folding is very bad because he could certainly have trips or something random. But I'm definitely not loving my hand.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:14 PM

A fold would be very bad. I'd call down without feeling bad about it. There's a decent chance he has trip 8's.