Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: PLO8 $100: AA hand meets resistance on flop

I'm curious what sort of hand you want to win with if you're reraising the flop then calling the pooosh. I guess you're looking for dealer's Ax or 7x? Maybe 23 (lol)? Regardless why not call and peel one off? Instead of just using math to figure the chances that a 7 is in either of those two hands, adjust the math by increasing the probability one is there because an unknown opponent should not be assumed to be brain dead until they provide evidence supporting the assumption. I would walk away from the admitted small bet on the flop against an unknown, with no info on how to interpret his action - granted that is probably notably tighter than the mean in this thread (AA = win small, lose big). I would assume I would need an A to win the pot, and assume only one is left out there, at most. That's at best a 1 outer to a sure thing, with some miraculous card combos in between (not many, mind you) that would leave me with a better than 50% chance of scooping, and who cares about drawing to the low except as some sort of justification for leaping in headlong?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM

How unknown? It looks like you have already won a decent pot.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:16 PM

whoa,have you lost your mind,if the guy has a2 spades,he is a favorite over the aa,a flush and low draw is 55 percent ahead of a set,so it has to be the same odds or better against 2 pair.So your telling the guy to put him on a monster draw which is ahead of his 2 pair and put all his chips in,the correct play is not to even raise preflop with aa,just bc you are only raising around 4-5 percent of your stack,now if you could have made it 20-30 preflop,i would have made the same move with the re raise after flop but since he only raised 7 ,i would probbaly fold on the flop.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:12 PM

WTF is going on here.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM

There are some guys screaming I HAVE TOP TOP TOP.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF is going on here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I will raise this hand preflop everytime and this is surely not a mistake because my preflop raising range is broad enough that nobody can put me exactly on AA.

I was just curious how anybody would play this hand postflop. I agree with you that this should depend on the aggressiveness of the opponent. Should I push most of the time against an aggro player and call against a passive or unknown player to see how he will act on the turn?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:49 PM

First, I think this hand was correctly raised pre-flop.

Second: On the flop you have positions and its a check and it is a 1/3 pot bet to you. This bet screams "great drawing hand" to me. I would expect the player to have an open straight and probably A2 or A3 low draw...and quite possibly a flush draw too. I would not make it out of the question that the player has a 7 either and is looking to induce a raise. There is NO way I put in a raise the size you did in that spot. First of all, you have no idea where you stand in the hand, and second of all, by raising that big, you effectively give up your position advantage. I would either flat call with your hand, or min-raise for information. I think you gave away your whole advantage in this hand the way you played it.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Second: On the flop you have positions and its a check and it is a 1/3 pot bet to you. This bet screams "great drawing hand" to me. I would expect the player to have an open straight and probably A2 or A3 low draw...and quite possibly a flush draw too. I would not make it out of the question that the player has a 7 either and is looking to induce a raise. There is NO way I put in a raise the size you did in that spot. First of all, you have no idea where you stand in the hand, and second of all, by raising that big, you effectively give up your position advantage. I would either flat call with your hand, or min-raise for information. I think you gave away your whole advantage in this hand the way you played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course its correct to raise preflop, a flat call is also fine.

But on flop I think there is no way we can define our hand because he will move all in with hands inlcuding 7 and also with the big draws like A23spades.

You min-raise and he shoves then what?
Or you call and then un turn comes an ofsuit 3 and he fires again. Should we call, maybe he is freerolling us now or maybe has us crushed with A27x, you will never now.

There is no inbetween choice, you either fold right away or play for stacks.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would either flat call with your hand, or min-raise for information. I think you gave away your whole advantage in this hand the way you played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been thinking about the post-flop part of this hand for the last day, and am relieved to say that this is what I would have done as well. Of course, hindsight is 20-20 and oftentimes when I am confronted by a small bet under these circumstances my retard detector goes off and I pound it. Here though I am not so sure I would have done so, because I've learned that having an A-A-4 or A-A-5 on this kind of flop is crappucino.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course its correct to raise preflop, a flat call is also fine.

But on flop I think there is no way we can define our hand because he will move all in with hands inlcuding 7 and also with the big draws like A23spades.

You min-raise and he shoves then what?
Or you call and then un turn comes an ofsuit 3 and he fires again. Should we call, maybe he is freerolling us now or maybe has us crushed with A27x, you will never now.

There is no inbetween choice, you either fold right away or play for stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why my first choice above was flat call, because if he re-pops my min-raise I probably must fold.

But I want to see what villian does if any card over 8 hits the board, or an A or a 2. Most of the holdings that don't include a 7 are much worse off if the turn comes with a high card, and would be making a mistake to bet the pot on the turn. I think almost half the cards that can come on the turn are cards that favor me in position-- and I would rather take that chance for $8 with the opportunity to fold in position if I don't like what I see.

If an offsuit 3 comes and he pots it I probably fold, but I have only lost $8.