Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: 2007 Atlanta Braves Thread: Reclaiming the NL East

[ QUOTE ]
Do you like the deal? I don't know anywhere near as much as you about the prospects?

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently, very much so. Salty is blocked in Atlanta, and his value is at an all-time high. Andrus is an 18 year old shortstop, and the braves have several guys ahead of him, so he was expendable(Lillibridge, Escobar). If Harrison turns out to be the fourth guy in the trade, I have no problem with that, because I think he's pretty Horacio-like. Feliz I don't know a ton about, but I know he's got great stuff, but he's only 19, so there's no guarantee there.

Still waiting on the last prospect, if it's Tommy Hanson I'll be a lot more upset. Really hoping it's Harrison.

I'm very happy they are going for it this and next year, since Bobby will probably be done, and Smoltz likely as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM

Now we need a inning eating starter and a decent lefty in the bullpen.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now we need a inning eating starter and a decent lefty in the bullpen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Thorman and a lower-mid level prospect will be sent to Minnesota for Carlos Silva.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 PM

Rotoworld:

[ QUOTE ]
Not only are the Braves getting Mark Teixeira, but they're close to acquiring Octavio Dotel from the Royals, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
Going for broke. No word on what the Braves would give up. Yunel Escobar was surely a topic of conversation, but Atlanta probably isn't parting with him for a rental. Shortstop Brent Lillibridge, RHP Tommy Hanson and outfielder Jordan Schafer are candidates to be involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like it. We already have an octavio dotel, his name is rafael sorianio. I would puke if they gave up excobar, lillibridge would suck too.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 PM

No way Exco is gone in this deal. No way.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be completly retarded if it did
Old 07-30-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be completly retarded if it did

[/ QUOTE ]

won't happen, and the Royals won't push too hard for him b/c they know we are trying to win now, and Escobar will be very valuable for the rest of the season and the playoffs (not to mention he'll be our starter in 2009 at the latest). Lillibridge is the one I see most likely to go for Octavio. Once again, we are trading from strength.

And who says we don't need him? That's ridiculous. Yes, we have Soriano, but since when is two flamethrowing RH relievers too many?

If we pick up an innings eater, we are a near lock for the playoffs and will be a force once in it.

I can't wait for tomorrow's game, we haven't had a lineup this good since we won the WS in '95.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM

How is Escobar very valuable for the rest of the season? He's just a utility infielder at this point.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is Escobar very valuable for the rest of the season? He's just a utility infielder at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Braves have a ton of games left vs. the NL east, and he starts against lefties, of whom there are a ton in the NL east: Willis, Olsen, Glavine, Hamels, Moyer, OPerez, Chico, Bacsik.. plus lefty relievers like Wagner. His ability to play short and 3rd means we can rest Chipper/Edgar a couple of times, which in itself is very useful. I recall how much Edgar fell off late last year, tho that may have been due to our being out of the race.

Also, the playoffs are a low run environment. Guys who make good contact, have good speed and play good defense are worth more in the playoffs than during the regular season. Hopefully we'll make the playoffs and he'll get some nice PH appearances in.

To be sure, he is less useful than most of the 25 man roster, but to go deep in the playoffs it really helps to have depth and a good bench. Yunel is exactly the type of player you want for that role.

So perhaps "very valuable" is a stretch, but for sure there would be a noticable drop off if Woodward got all his action. I'll amend to "very useful."

The "very valuable" comment more applies to his future.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Braves have a ton of games left vs. the NL east, and he starts against lefties, of whom there are a ton in the NL east: Willis, Olsen, Glavine, Hamels, Moyer, OPerez, Chico, Bacsik.. plus lefty relievers like Wagner. His ability to play short and 3rd means we can rest Chipper/Edgar a couple of times, which in itself is very useful. I recall how much Edgar fell off late last year, tho that may have been due to our being out of the race.

Also, the playoffs are a low run environment. Guys who make good contact, have good speed and play good defense are worth more in the playoffs than during the regular season. Hopefully we'll make the playoffs and he'll get some nice PH appearances in.

To be sure, he is less useful than most of the 25 man roster, but to go deep in the playoffs it really helps to have depth and a good bench. Yunel is exactly the type of player you want for that role.

So perhaps "very valuable" is a stretch, but for sure there would be a noticable drop off if Woodward got all his action. I'll amend to "very useful."

The "very valuable" comment more applies to his future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is dead on. No way Escobar goes anywhere, ever. If Atlanta trades a SS it will be Renteria. I'd hate to see that though as Edgar's a main cog of the team. Much rather have him as the starter and keep Escobar as the utility guy.

Please cut Woodward.