Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Default live 2-5NL, max value from flopped full house

The villain in question here is a loose, semi-aggressive thinking player. I open raise to 15 in late middle position with 33, villain calls on button, big blind calls. 3KK rainbow flop, i lead out for 30, button calls, bb folds. What do I do on the turn? The only way I can get real action is if he has a king, but what if he smooth called me with a pocket pair, or is just floating w/AQ or something expecting to take it away later? If I check the turn, I think he checks behind w/a pp, and then might call a bet on the river. If I check and he was floating the flop, he obviously bets, but shuts down when I call or raise. I decided to bet 50 on a 9 turn, he thought then folded, and later said he had AQ and thought I actually did have a king. How do I extract max value here out of his hands that do not contain a king?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: live 2-5NL, max value from flopped full house

Checking the turn seems like the optimal thing to do since he will not catch up very often if he does check through and it gives him a chance to bluff at you. If you do bet I'd probably try and make it look like a pocket pair and bet the full pot or even over. As you said he is a thinker and he probably won't put you on as big a hand as you have with that kinda bet. The problem is he needs to have the K (you're gonna get value anyway) or he has to think he can push you off your perceived 77, which probably doesn't happen that often.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:15 PM

I usually play 1/2 live. Not sure what the stack sizes were. But if they weren't obscenely high, I wouldn't worry about pushing too hard since trip kings will likely be fairly easy to get all-in by the river with loose live players.

I might even check the flop. Otherwise, just a small bet to get some PP's to call.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM

I was trying to rep a med pair by betting a bit weak on the turn...you think a big bet on the turn reps a med pair more effectively? I definitely think I should have checked the turn, but I bet because I wanted him to have to commit more chips if he decided to raise. If I check he might bet between 60-100, but if he raises my 50, its gonna be to at least 150 (we both had over 500).
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 PM

If you look at it from his point of view it would be pretty hard to put you on such a huge hand if you push hard on the turn with such a draw-light paired board. That's not to say this play is great though because he will most likely think "Hmm this is pretty suspicious, but I'll let it go anyway." That's how I feel at least.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:38 PM

If villain doesn't have a king you're not getting paid anyway. Just bet. Hand was played fine.

$0.02
Old 07-30-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If villain doesn't have a king you're not getting paid anyway. Just bet. Hand was played fine.

$0.02

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much the upshot. Without some kinda angle-shooting/ Jedi mind-tricks his money won't go in with less than trips here.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 PM

I'll think more about betting stronger in this spot next time, if I decide to bet. But in this spot I was not going to get any more than another bet out of the guy unless he had a king or decided to get really frisky, I was just interested in seeing what other people thought of maximizing his non-king hands. Thanks.