Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Giving up online poker because of parents (long)

A few options.

1. Keep playing, but tell your parents you quit.

2. Quit college and join the Army. There's no bigger rush than playing poker under rocket and mortar attack.

3. Have your roommate open an account in his gramma's name, stake you, and split the profits. You won't be lying to your parents. Your roommate's gramma will be playing, not you.

4. Stop playing and rent your account to ZeeJustin.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:47 AM

you're an adult, act like one. people can't tell you what hobbies you can have. even if they are your parents.

having your parents pay for your education is super weak. once again you are an adult, you should act like one. i know it fairly common, particularly in europe where people have a tendancy to live with their parents until they are like 30, nevertheless there is no substitute for being independent and self made
Old 03-07-2006, 12:53 AM

If you do have a mentor for poker who has a track record, and you want to learn the game but still don't want to totally disrespect your parents, consider this.

Start playing freerolls and build a bankroll from absolute zero, and never use a dime of "your" or "their" money.

It will allow you to play as much poker as you wish, but not permit you to get in financial trouble, and will probably convince your parents that you have some control.

Plus...and this is the biggie...I doubt sixty minutes ever said that playing online for free was illegal.

True, you won't get much money, and you could fall into the trap of playing so many hours that your grades would suffer, but that is a totally different issue. What it will do is force you to see if you can win playing online over the next 3 years or whether you just hit a hot streak.

The main consideration is that tournaments have much more relationship to poker for money than do play money ring games. Developing a sound tournament strategy could be very useful for you.

The only other thing is to find a site that has Play money games that only allow you to play higher limit play money games when you actually Win points. In other words, you may actually find some play money games that are played for "real"
Old 03-07-2006, 12:57 AM

1) News flash: If you weren't gambling with "your" money, you could put it toward tuition/books/rent/food/etc. and thereby reduce the amount you suck off your parents.

2) Are you the kind of guy who could lie to his parent's faces while he spends their money?

3) Your college years will be over in the blink of an eye. You're so self-indulgent you can't wait that long?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 AM

I think alot of you are missing the point...I'm in this exact situation and chose the financial independence from my parents...I now pay for everything (tuition, housing, food), which I can do because of the money I win from poker. Their main concern however (and they were right), was the inordinate amount of time I spent playing poker. As predicted by them, my grades slipped, I rarely go to class and rarely do my work/study. To me its worth it to be making 3k per month and screwing up my school, but I can see why they were concerned and didn't want me to play. Its very hard to find motivation to go to school and do well when you can make better hourly rates now then you'll be making when you graduate. Your parents aren't really concerned about the money, they are concerned about it taking over your life and screwing up your school, which it will likely do...you have to decide if its worth it.