Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: News Flash: Elaine gives Ed\'s new book 5 stars

Hi Guys,

Let's move on.

PNL looks to be an excellent new book. Rather than focus all our energy discussing one particular Amazon review (appropriate or not), I think it would be much more constructive to move on from this topic, and focus on the much more interesting issues of PNL content and availability.

For those who are still strongly upset/supportive, you can still discuss the review directly at Amazon. But I think an 80-reply thread devoted to a single review at another site is, perhaps, a bit much...

Best Regards,
Collin
Old 07-30-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
inet for sickness, animals (dogs, horses) f'ing people, scatology, snuff flics, etc.,

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, i missed all this stuff! i would think it would be in my forum, too, are you guys over in The Lounge holding out on us or something?

links pls, i have a long afternoon ahead of me
Old 07-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Looks like the Amazon review has been removed.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:34 PM

This Elaine chick is hilarious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])) her response to my post on 2+2 is priceless, no more sincityalpha, from now on my fellow 2+2ers, I shall be known as the notorious/infamous ASSHAT [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Btw, what’s an “asshat”??? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As far as her blog, the only thing that made sense is her claim that she wrote the review on a whim. Now that I can understand, cause she seems exactly like someone who does things without first thinking about them, and ending up doing something silly.

I’ll just say that I think Ed is AMAZING!!! I am now on my 2nd read of PNL, and IMO this book is very well written and offers enormous value. It’s nice to see someone lay out a coherent framework for analysis producing similar output, to that of good poker player’s intuition.

What I can’t figure out, is how can someone so bright and prolific, end up with such a ditz. The only logical explanation is that our main man Ed is into some “kinky” or “dominatrics” stuff. Ed if you read this, please don’t be offended, as I am only writing this in the spirit of innocuous humor and not to hurt anyone’s feelings!!! Also, your “personal” life is obviously of no one’s business.

Elaine, it’s good to have people like you around, you provide some “marginal” entertainment value! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I’d say to “think a little better before you act next time”, but that would actually deprive us from or at least reduce “Elaine’s F***ups”. So instead I say keep it up as we get bored sometimes and need people to make us laugh.

Yours truly,

“asshat”
Old 07-30-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not like she only reviews Ed's books. She gave Winning Secrets of Poker: Interviews with the Game's Best Players , a book that Ed recommended, 4 stars.

Surely she realizes she will be recognized. She should have disclosed her relationship. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong with her 'review'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. It's not safe to say that everyone in the market for a poker book knows the identity of the wife of one of the authors because they used to frequent certain forums of a poker site that neither she nor the author himself post on any longer. Only a small percent of possible purchasers will have any idea who she is.

The other thing wrong with her "review" was, of course, that it was not a review at all. You can't review a book you haven't read, and she admits up front that she didn't read it. Quoting other reviews is a ridiculously poor substitute for creating content.

What I think is disconcerting is that she's not even interested enough in her own husband's book to read it. It's not like Ed has written 35 books, or like Elaine has an actual job or anything.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:08 PM

very well said "asshat" ...i dont think ed can get poonani so he just grins and bares it with elaine

ed's scale .......hos>>>>>>>>money&gt ;>>>>>self respect

and this thread should be moved to NVG so it can quadruple in sixe and get a cool ADMO photoshop ....
Old 07-30-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I truely feel sorry for Ed.... his wife is apparently insane but I get the feeling that while she obviously goes overboard that a lot of what she says is based on truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

No on the truth part. Let me give one example. The author team on Professional No-Limit Hold 'em makes approximately 50 percent more than I do. If instead of an author team, there would have been only one author, he would have made 50 percent more than I do.

We pay very high royalties for a book publishing company. In fact, some of the rates we pay are virtually unheard of in the book business, and in general, our authors make approximately five times as much by doing the book for us than they would from most other publishers, and this includes our major competition. When you read the link, you get a much different impression.

And finally, because the review in question is causing so much controversy, I have sent a note to Amazon.com on behalf of Two Plus Two Publishing LLC explaining that the review is written by one of the author's wives, and requesting that it be removed.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah blah blah ...

I don't like Elaine any more than I like you, Mason, but what she says is true. You've allowed the 2p2 forums to turn into one of the hottest spots on the inet for sickness, animals (dogs, horses) f'ing people, scatology, snuff flics, etc., the sickest stuff in the universe. Not to mention Sklansky's absurd attention-whoring antics. And guess what, that's why a lot of people log in to the forums.

And yet you keep on pretending that what you're all about is an erudite distinguished highly respectable publisher of well-thought-out well-reviewed thinking-man's poker publications. Give the world a break. You shamelessly capitalized on all the sickos temporarily attracted to poker to gain publicity.

It's really pathetic ... you, I mean. You really are pathetic. You never take a stand one way or the other.

Don't you understand that all this sick stuff can and does lead to real world consequences ?

You're a freak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone please ban this guy.

Dude your talking about the Mason
Old 07-30-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I think an 80-reply thread devoted to a single review at another site is, perhaps, a bit much...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see you're new around here...

Amazon seems to think that if you pre-order that means you go to the end of the line for shipment, so it'll be a while before I get my copy of PNL. In the meantime, lets make it 87 replies.

In happier news, my copy of your book is on its way, and I look forward to reading it.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please ban this guy.

Dude your talking about the Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

"the Mason" ... I see you've wandered into brain dead hero worship.

Sure, ban me. Quick and simple. Problem is I just create another account -- and there's the kernel of the entire problem.

The truth is that various measures could have been implemented some time ago to mitigate and even reverse the sad, no, make that pathetic, path the 2p2 forums have wandered down.

From less difficult/problematic to more difficult/problematic:

Option 1: spell out explicit policies of what constitutes going too far

Option 2: pay mods (free books, $ if necessary) to consistently and rapidly enforce the policies

Option 3: require personal information to create an account, and perform some sort of verification of that PI against existing accounts to ensure multiple accounts not created for single individual

Option 4: in coordination with option 2, put a cap on # of posts, at which point a mod will review and decide if you should be granted long-term membership

Option 5: require small membership fee to participate in forums

I'm sure there are many other options that creative minds could come up with.

The fact that Mason never pursued any of these indicates to me that he is willing to sacrifice both quality and any semblance of a society (in the true sense of the word) for traffic metrics. In other words, he decided to cash in on the poker boom at any cost.

This is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with. If you have another, I'd love to hear it.

All you have to do is look at the overall quality of PXF's forums to see that other business models are both possible and profitable.

The final straw for me in giving these guys the benefit of the doubt (in other words, "it just happenned") was when Sklansky admitted he was giving Brandi poker lessons in exchange for the "publicity" she generates for the site.

Sorry, I don't buy the argument that nothing can be done about the present situation without violating democratic principles.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the guys actually made the claim that the book turned him into a winner overnight, and that after being "impotent" for 7 years he is now measuring his winnings in stacks. L O L, wow this must be some amazing book, that it's able to turn a 7-year losser into a winner overnight. Makes me wonder what the hell this guy been doing for the past 7 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

this review was written by 2p2er Joe Tall. he was joking. that's why he has a second paragraph that begins, "seriously."

[/ QUOTE ]

Felson, you are trying to explain something to someone who has a reading comprehension problem about a BOOK. Use your time wisely somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm good idea. maybe i will start hunting bots!