Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Default General Overpair question

I find myself getting in trouble alot with overpairs on flops of all unders. I think I am paying off too many sets and not getting enough value when I have the best hand.

When villian donkbets the flop, what boards do you rr, call, fold, or what reads on villian do you use to make these decisions?

When villian smooth calls your cbet on the flop, when do you check the turn and when do you second barrel?

When you get reraised on a flop or turn bet, what kind of factors go into your decision on whether you fold or get it all in. What types of villians do you fold to, or call, and what kinds of board textures?

If were OOP, what is your usual line/reads needed when your cbet is called on the flop? raised?

I realized this is alot, but answers to any parts of it are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: General Overpair question

I'm interested in the advice to this post because i have the same problem.

OP, this is a little too broad. I think you need to post a few hands. But you will need to include hand where you won and lost to keep us impartial.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: General Overpair question

There are way too many factors involved to give any type of real answer here. In general, I'm considering how the hand was played preflop, the texture of the board, my hand, the stacks, and the passivity of the player.

When I see a player limp in early position and then call a raise, I'm almost always putting them on a lowish pocket pair or a low suited connector. However, there are other hands that players will do this with (KQs, KQo, QJs, JTs, AQo, etc). If I raise first in and someone cold-calls, I'm putting them mostly on pocket pairs. I'm more worried about this situation.

The texture of the flop makes a difference, too. If I have KK and the flop is something like Q72 rainbow, pretty much nothing is going to keep me from getting all of my money in. The exception would be if we're both really deep (i.e. 200BB). If the flop is something like 875, then I'm a little less eager to get all in, only because top pair hands are much less likely to want to shove here (however, you'll still see idiots ready to get all in with 99 and TT).

The shorter the villain's stack, obviously the less likely I am to fold.

How passive the opponent is is huge. If I see a guy with a .25 AF over 500 hands check-raising or re-raising me, it's going to be hard to not give them credit for something that beats me. On the other hand, if a guy has a 50% VPIP and an 8 AF, it's going to be hard for me to ever fold when I have an overpair.

This is pretty general. Post some hands, they make giving specific advice much easier.