Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM

Default $114: KK, weird turn

I'm pretty well committed to this pot and have outs to fill up if he's got the straight. Good?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1500
UTG+1: t1500
MP1: t1500
MP2: t1500
MP3: t1500
CO: t1500
Button: t1500
Hero: t1500
BB: t1500

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t80</font>, 6 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t240</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t160 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t340)</font>.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t500, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t500</font>, UTG calls t500 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1000)</font>.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t1500, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Re: $114: KK, weird turn

Do you know the villain at all? I like it, I'm going all the way with this one.

Best hand I can put him on is AK spades, although I would be shoving the flop if I had that. I have a pretty hard time giving him the straight here though, I just don't know what hand calls your rr and your flop bet that has a jack in it. JJ would be possible if he's crazy.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 AM

I like to check the flop here. If villain bets, then push. If villain checks behind then I would lead a brick turn for around 300. With this turn I like a check-call down.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM

I think you're married to this pot once that king shows up and have to see it through to the end.

After villain calls that flop bet you certainly don't have any FE. An unorthodox line you might take(for me anyhow) is to try checking this turn. If he checks push any river. If he bets call off your chips. Since we don't know his hand the river could be scary for him and if we push that card there may be a teeny tiny chance he will fold.

Meh. That's the only way I can see to win a pot you're committed to but probably losing.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 AM

I don't mind checking the flop.
Once you get to the turn shove and yell pair the board.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:55 AM

i've started checking these nasty flops, especially if i have a draw too.

as played, i shove turn as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind checking the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a much better option?

[ QUOTE ]
Once you get to the turn shove and yell pair the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol because this is what I did.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 AM

and?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:23 AM

I think the turn is a good card for you most of the time. As played, definitely push.

The flop sucks really hard. I might go into c/c mode for a while and see what happens. CRAI is gonna fold out anything you're beating and most players will call anything beating you unless the guy sucks.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 AM

I don't understand why we want to check the flop here. If he bets, it's a great result since we can shove over the top and have more FE that way. But we really have no idea if he'll bet or not--and then he gets a free card with a very, very drawy board. Isn't that a very passive line to take with what rates to be the best hand most of the time after the flop? I understand that it keeps us from bloating the pot so early, but still, I would think some kind of bet would be best--maybe not 500, but ~350-400 or something, to protect our hand and give villain improper odds?

Pairing the board on the river would be nice, but I'm also surprised that everyone seems to be giving him the straight. I'm assuming he isn't crazy, and if that's true, what kinds of hands are cold calling the rr and the flop bet? Maybe JJ, QQ, AA and AK? Only one of those gives him the straight on the turn. I feel like the most logical holding would be QQ. I would fold JJ, shove with AA and AK on the flop. I guess AQs would be possible too, although that's a little loose.

Anyway, could someone clarify why checking the flop is such a good option? I don't play at these high levels so I don't know what players are like at them, so that could be one thing. I'm also a newer, less experienced player, so my analysis might not be best.