Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: what am i?
Bitter loser? 20 86.96%
True, true 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Ethics Question

depends on how I was running, but I'd have to be on a major month-long heater to even consider giving up any piece of that pot.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 PM

I should have mentioned that any times I miscalled my hands were in a regular game, all against players I was friendly with.

They know I'm pretty self-deprecating at the tables and was just being sheepish about being caught.

I have never done this against a person I didn't know or hadn't played with before.

The point being, I have never taken a pot unless:

1. I had the best poker hand at showdown.
2. All other players folded to my final bet.

I have never taken a pot where someone misread my hand and mucked, showed one card and mucked the other, etc., unless it was enforced by the floorman in a tournament.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:35 PM

You have to be very careful and show both your cards.

I was playing at Bellagio with two off duty dealers sitting on both sides of a drunk and trying to see his hand. On one big pot, the board came five diamonds. One of the off duty dealers said to a tourist, "I don't have a diamond, do you? We will just split it." The dealer was silent. The tourist threw his hand in. Then the dealer said you have to show both cards and awarded the whole pot to his friend and co-worker. I knew from decades of experience that these two off-duty dealers and the dealer were looking to cheat someone.

Another angle they used is that one off-duty dealer asked a player to chop the pot. When he said yes, the real dealer said you can't chop pots, just as the other guy knew he would do. Then the guy who asked bet at the pot.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:08 AM

Great thread!

I have seen this happen a couple times, and when I voted, I picked that I would keep the whole pot. That being said, when I saw it happen between two others, I thought, "Awww, that's not nice. I would chop the pot if that were me..." The other time I saw it, the person who mucked the nut flush had flashed it and then accidentally mucked it right into the muck and it ended up face down. He said that he was meaning to muck it face up and it 'flew' into the muck by accident. He was being such a douchebag all night that I was secretly laughing my head off. He started to CRY, so of course that just sent me into a bigger laughing fit. I don't believe in karma, but I just thought it was funny that he was being a jerk to the dealers, other players, and that happened to him.

I really do think it's a players own responsibility to read his/her own hand though. I was playing in Vegas one night where flopped top pair against some guy. I forget exactly how things went, but the river paired the board, counterfeiting his two pair, and he announced "two pair" as I semi mucked my hand (well, I guess it's not semi mucked. I did mean to muck it, but it was a weak toss that was like a foot away from me). It hadn't touched the muck pile at all, and hadn't been touched by anyone, and I said, "Oh wait!! I have the winning hand!" and the dealer wouldn't flip up my cards and just scooped them into the muck. That made me sad, but really, it WAS my fault.

Okay, and last point... to the person who said, "nuts" when not really having the nuts... that is REALLLLLY rude (as already stated) and totally not an appropriate joke when it comes to poker. HOWEVER... I also think that again, it is a player's responsibility to see the hand and acknowledge whether it is in fact a winning hand before mucking their own.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 AM

muck by yourself = lose!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rake in all the chips and tell the guy nice lay down

[/ QUOTE ] no you wouldn't.

if you are actually telling the truth, you antisocial behavior problem must have made you kick ass so many times in your life. or at least made you torment the meek.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2007, 01:50 AM

I would day "Ship Da Chedda" then take the whole pot.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 AM

this exact thing happened to me but I was the retard who mucked the best hand.

The other player kept the pot, and I didn't make a big fuss about it...after all it was my own fault. Needless to say I make sure to ALWAYS turn my cards face up from now on. I think keeping the pot is completely ethical/standard/fine.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:01 AM

i folded quads once in limit.

I was looking fr a straight fr some reason oblivios to the fact that the turn and river were trips on the board.

I know im an idiot.

guy next to me told me about it bt it was too late.

Oh well.

I still have a limit hold em trophy.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:37 AM

Um yea...ship it no questions asked...not even a "sorry bud".