Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: 3/6 flopped FD & gut shot in raised pot

What hands other than draws should hero be checking behind to 'mix it up'?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:15 PM

in this type of spot I'd rarely raise the flop and check the turn with any sort of real hand, unless I had some very weird history with my opponent. If I want to trap him I just call the flop...

if you mean other times in general, then there's way too much to cover in one quick post...
Old 07-29-2007, 11:21 PM

If the turn blanked, still a check?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:29 PM

yeah

pairing up is kinda nice but it doesn't really mean a lot here... in the event that he was calling light on the flop and we've made the best hand, then it doesn't much matter whether we check or bet because either way we probably win the pot and don't win anymore money

if we think that a significant portion of his range is pairs worse than aces, then the king would make a big difference in whether or not to bet the turn... but that doesn't seem hugely likely here. Also if he just has a small pair and the turn bricks off then we have like 18 outs or something crazy like that, so checking is still a strong option anyway.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 PM

i normally threebet this preflop

as played i mix it up big time on the flop, and it depends a lot on my image and reads on player. Raising is obviously plus ev, but the sucky thing about raising is that you aren't representing a whole lot.

I'd probably call the flop and raise the turn, since thats how he'd think i'd play top two or a set.

As played, check turn, although betcall can be the right play vs some. If you think you have a reasonable amount of fold equity then betcall is the play. If you aren't sure then its obviously a check.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in this type of spot I'd rarely raise the flop and check the turn with any sort of real hand, unless I had some very weird history with my opponent. If I want to trap him I just call the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just spent about 45 minutes reading your posts. I learned a very important thing.....

No more 3/6 for me until I understand wtf I'm doing.

1. What is range merging?
2. In the above example, if raising the flop was bad and calling is better, what is the plan for the turn when.....
a. Kx
b. blank
c. diamond or 10
3. Why are my cbets less successful at the 3/6 compared to the 1/2? I'm about 14/6 at the 3/6. I frequently get called or raised on the flop when I'm the preflop raiser. I'm reluctant to call or re-raise the flop, or fire a 2nd barrel on the turn when I have air. What am I doing wrong?
4. Coach me please?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:16 AM

range merging was a pretty dumb theory about how you should bet your entire range of hands instead of just your big hands and your bluffs, in order to make yourself harder to play against or something

in position I don't play too aggressively on the early streets for various reasons, it's just part of my gameplan, so to me this is a pretty clear flop call and then if my opponent doesn't have an ace I'll be able to take it away, and if he does have an ace I'll try to get value if I hit...

if a K falls I usually call again because the equity from my draw plus my equity from sometimes holding the best hand and showing it down (and not to mention some implied odds) generally warrants it

if a blank falls then it depends how big of a bet I'm facing and what sort of reads I have (to determine whether I can steal the pot still somehow, and to determine if I get paid when I hit)

if I hit my hand and he bets then sometimes I raise, sometimes I slowplay, either way can work. slowplaying is fun because when I'm just calling down, it usually means I have some sort of bluffcatcher type of hand, so showing up with the nuts sometimes can win a big pot and earn me some free showdowns in the future when I need it.

your cbets at 3/6 are less successful than at 1/2 because your opponents play better and have a better understanding of how to use position, and how to accurately assess how your range hit the board

if you're serious about coaching, PM me
Old 07-30-2007, 01:53 AM

Let me throw this out there:

Assuming we take the same line as the OP for the flop (raising it up to $138), and the turn comes a low card, such as offsuit 4, is it better to fire at the pot than check behind?

The problem with the K, as I see it, is that as good as it may be for you, it could be better for your opponent. In this case, if we assume he's calling with a relatively strong hand (AJ, AQ, AK) on the flop, the K could give him extra outs or make his hand better. AJ has two pair, AK has two pair, and AQ has top pair + gutshot now. The K really is not as good for us as we think because our trips/two-pair outs are probably dirty (i.e. our opponent makes/has a better two pair/trips). Therefore, the K didn't really help our hand, most likely improved our opponent's, and therefore our FE is less.

Now, if the turn is an offsuit 4, is it better to shove the turn? My reasoning being the 4 is unlikely to improve his hand so if he has something like AK or AQ, our fold equity is better because it's just a one pair. The only hand we have to beware of is AJ, which probably shoves the flop anyway.

So I guess my question is basically, if the turn comes out as a true "blank", do we shove? Or is checking always the most +EV play we have?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:56 AM

I feel that at 3/6 most players who call the flop raise are going to call at least the turn the vast majority of the time, with whatever they have on this type of board. It's unlikely for him to have any sort of unmade hand, and most players are smart enough to realize the turn bet is coming most of the time and they won't reconsider and fold the turn after making the flop call. We don't have any information on this guy other than that he has a full stack, so it's tough to say for sure, but generally the more solid types aren't folding often on the turn here, and the really bad players aren't folding the turn here, so it's really just some of the middle ground weak players that might call the flop raise to "re-evaluate" and fold the turn...