My current mental image of The Glidd:

The Glidd: Serious Trumpet.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Beat: [censored] downstairs buys drum kit for kids

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guids,

Obtrusively loud trumpet music while you are in your own home at any hour of the day is unacceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think trumpet playing is loud? When practicing, I rarely let things really crank. Almost everything I do is exercise based with occasional moments of going full throttle.

I'm willing to bet one of the reasons no one complains is it really doesn't sound all that loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

If what you're doing isn't very loud at all, then it's probably not a big deal. I've lived in apartments where the neighbors could do anything and I wouldn't hear it, I've lived in places where I could hear regular phone calls word-for-word. All of this makes a difference. But I reiterate, obtrusively loud trumpet music while you are in your own home at any hour of the day is unacceptable.

PS - Guids my apartments in STL were always made of brick and really well sound-insulated, this may be affecting your judgement on the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the construction in L.A. apartment buildings is so cheap that I can often hear neighbors brushing their teeth, rolling out a paper towel, turning a spigot, etc.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guids,

I enjoy a lot of sound when I'm asleep too for some odd reason, and can sleep through about anything which I think is why I would rather have 3am noise sometimes then afternoon noise all the time. I choose to live in a house because I don't want to deal with bs like this, but still feel the need for some reason to chime in and tell him how much bs I think this is. Hearing a trumpet even if it isn't all that loud for more then 15 min at a time more then 3 days a week would put me over the edge. Although it's just my opinion, I find a trumpet to be a noise that would drive me insane very quickly. You are correct though that if nobody has complained, then he has every right to play on. I think it's really ignorant to believe that people aren't upset about it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, it could be ignorant, but when discussing something like this, I dont see it lending any more credence to the argument becuase it can not be proven. What if the dude lives in an "artsy" building. Personally Id LOVE for a neighbor to play something other than the skynyrd that teh guy in the basement plays now (even though he is pretty good), and a trumpet would be pretty sweet. I dunno, and this maybe becuse I live in such a small city, but I cant get enough "busyness" during the day, sounds, people walking around, etc.

this is one of those stances that Im probably in the minority here, but if you have no choice but to live in an apartment, thats too bad imo, you should have thought ahead. there are all types of people out there, and they do all types of different things, if they are doing something that isnt illegal that you can not stand, too bad, you chose to live 15ft from another human, they didnt choose you. Of course, Im going to get a bunch of people saying "but guids, are you expecting me to pack up all my things because some ahole is playing trumpet, that is so unreasonable and stupid" and to that I reply, "no, whats stupid is not taking into account that people are self-involved, and usually rude and stupid when you chose what kind of dwelling to live in"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever hear of kids? How much choosing did they do?

You're making this too much of an opportunity for economic triumphalism, and too little of an opportunity to endorse simply not being a dick. Of the two, the latter is more on point.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
probably right, but there is no reason to ever "get-it" then, because you can basically do whatever you want and never catch any flack for it, so I dont see the downside.

Im also assuming you mean a physical confrontation as "knocking on someones door and asking them to stop/do it later."

[/ QUOTE ]
I get what you're saying, but to me the downside is being a huge [censored] and a dick in general. Please, nobody take this as a slippery slope, but that's just about the definition of a recalcitrant neighbor, or a warlord, or a dictator, right? Nobody is going to say, "Hey, cut it out." When you do something that everyone hates, there's a few barriers, including means and conscience. If you've got enough of the former and none of the latter, nothing stops you except the force of others. And if being restrained is the only thing in your way, then you're just an [censored].

Also, I don't think its true that you won't experience any negative consequences of being a hated neighbor. guids, if you had a neighbor you really, really hated, and an opportunity to [censored] with him came up, would you pass on it? Or would you [censored] with him as much as you could?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent points.

I see this in the workplace too. Be a dick as a boss and people are much more likely to sabotage stuff, steal stuff, do as little work as humanly possible, and be unavailable when you need them to cover an extra shift or work late.

And why wouldn't they? The fundamental rule is tit for tat. He acts like a dick, gets the treatment a dick deserves when ever possible. In fact people will look forward to it a great, great deal.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:46 PM

A good pic of 27off:

Old 07-30-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A good pic of 27off:

[/ QUOTE ]

SWEET COMEBACK

Seriously, I recommend you either quit OOT or at the very least kill yourself
Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A good pic of 27off:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 AM

I disagree with the argument that renters should either deal with the noise or buy a house. Instead, I think renters should either keep the noise down or buy a house. The burden of avoiding such blatant irritation should not be on other renters. If you want to make noise that is above what is socially acceptable within your community (apartment bldg), you should leave and buy a house - not everyone else in the building who is behaving normally.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with the argument that renters should either deal with the noise or buy a house. Instead, I think renters should either keep the noise down or buy a house. The burden of avoiding such blatant irritation should not be on other renters. If you want to make noise that is above what is socially acceptable within your community (apartment bldg), you should leave and buy a house - not everyone else in the building who is behaving normally.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like the kind of far more reasonable and less anti-social sentiment that does not have OOT as its prime audience.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:02 PM

lol, career wedding trumpeter. you're an [censored] just own up to it and we all can move on.