Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Beat: [censored] downstairs buys drum kit for kids

[ QUOTE ]
The best way to deal with a douchebag like him is to be just as legal yet more annoying, espeically after letting your neighbors know/planning it with them. Like every time he goes to practice, start thumping bass on every side of his apartment. Make it impossible for him to practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the links in my other posts speaks to this. If I'm playing trumpet (or whatever) in my best musical interests, and then you retaliate vindictively, that's harassment, at least according to the NY interpretation I cited.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A professional trumpet player probably sounds just a tad better than a little kid with drums.

And I think most of you a-holes are missing the point that he says he gets along fine with the neighbors.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife hates it thought when I go through the same warm-up routine every day.

I think the reason I'm at all knowledgeable about this is my last apartment situation. Before I moved in, I asked the landlord if it would be ok to practice between 9a and 6p (or whatever.) He said fine.

Things were great for a year. Then four guys just out of college moved in downstairs. This is a fairly nice neighborhood, lots of young professionals, not a college-y, loud atmosphere at all.

They threw a party. Fine. The next weekend, they blare Kelly Clarkson at 3a while singing along. I talk to them. It happens again the next weekend. I call the landlord. He tells me if it happens again to call the cops.

It happens again. I call the cops. They tell them to turn the music off. Repeat this about 20 times throughout the year.

After it all, there was nothing the landlord could, or was willing, to do. He'd talk to the downstairs neighbors, and then the music and loud voices continued. They also broke one of my roof-deck chairs.

To me, and the objective observer, there was a big difference between career-based music during the day that's cleared with the landlord at reasonable hours, and incessant music for entertainment blasted at unreasonable hours.

Was that douchey enough for you?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:55 PM

Glidd, each post you have made in this thread has increased my desire that bad things happen to you in the future.

You seriously are coming off as a douche.

no offense. (i am not sure i can legitimately end on that note but i will try)
Old 07-29-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, and the objective observer, there was a big difference between career-based music during the day that's cleared with the landlord at reasonable hours, and incessant music for entertainment blasted at unreasonable hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
The real difference is that practicing your trumpet is good for you and your career, and the guys downstairs playing music annoys you. Of course have you thought that maybe people don't want to listen to your music all day long, even if it's at "reasonable" hours?

There's seriously a huge difference between occasionally hearing music bleed through the wall and hearing it 6-8 hours a day, every day. Just because you cleared it with the landlord doesn't mean it's okay. It just means you're not breaking any rules.

I can't imagine you'd be happy with your neighbor bumping 50 Cent really loud between the hours of 9am and 6pm.

Treat your room with sound-proofing materials. It's not really that expensive, you'll get to practice whenever you want (even ad odd hours), and you'll be a good neighbor to boot.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jthegreat,

If it doesn't anger his neighbors, then I guess it's not a problem. I don't see any way that this wouldn't anger me if I was his neighbor, and don't know anyone who wouldn't be angry by this irl. I think it's WAY more likely that his neighbors are pissed but don't have the balls to say anything to him. I also think that whoever is telling him they like it is just trying to be nice, and prob hates it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 PM

wtf, I really dont get the people ripping on theglid. He is not doing anything at all unreasonable if he is playing during times that arent unreasonable. It is an apartment, if you guys want peace and quiet, and bitch about being woken up becuase you sleep until noon, than buy a house. If the trumpet player is willing to take into consideration any neighbors who complained, and worked out a schedule or soemthing with them (even though it seems no one cares), I dont see what the big deal is. If you cant see the different between a trumped at 1pm, and loud music at 3am, than you shouldnt be living near other humans.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:36 PM

guids,

Obtrusively loud trumpet music while you are in your own home at any hour of the day is unacceptable.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 PM

guids,

9am is WAY to early to be doing anything loud, even for normal people who just like to sleep in every now and then. I'd also be a lot less upset by being woken up a few times by loud music at 3am then I would be by having to wear [censored] ing ear plugs every day just to be in my own house without wanting to blow my brains out.

Anything that's loud enough to be heard by me in my own living area on a regular basis is unacceptable.

edit: lfs pretty much took my punch line
Old 07-29-2007, 08:43 PM

A couple things here:

I rarely play for more than 2 hours.

Also, acoustically there are differences between a single voiced, unamplified instrument, and most pop music pumped through a modest sound system - the recorded track will sound louder. Bass sounds carry through walls more than treble sounds. When you hear loud music, a lot of the time you hear loud bass.

For my situation no one complains. I even play in the middle of the day with the windows down sometimes. Passersby look up and around to check out what's happening. But no one freaks out walking down the street.

More annoying is someone driving down the street with the bass blaring.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

Obtrusively loud trumpet music while you are in your own home at any hour of the day is unacceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think trumpet playing is loud? When practicing, I rarely let things really crank. Almost everything I do is exercise based with occasional moments of going full throttle.

I'm willing to bet one of the reasons no one complains is it really doesn't sound all that loud.