FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: current American politicians that you respect

I'm disappointed by Ron Paul... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
coors,

I don't understand, why is it so awesome to kill untried drug traffickers? Because they are Mexican?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amplify,

No, not because they are Mexican, but because they are drug traffickers. It's past time we stop being wimps and aggresively go after drug smugglers, terrorists, and other scum.

Old school, John Wayne style.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 PM

coors,

ok.

amp
Old 07-29-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I respect John McCain because he is a badass who survived tougher conditions than I can imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i certainly respect him for that, but it ends there.

im afraid he's lost pretty much all his credibility in the last few months with various comments/stances on the war andagreeing with and supporting bush no matter what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Also does Al Gore count?

I think he's done an excellent job with issues that he finds important in the past few years (whether you agree with him on global warming or not you have to accept that he's championed that cause like no other defeated presidential candidate)... I saw him recently speak on CNN about the media and candidates pandering to a sound bite political system (I agreed with that hatred)... and all without techincally no longer being a politician
Old 07-29-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I respect John McCain because he is a badass who survived tougher conditions than I can imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i certainly respect him for that, but it ends there.

im afraid he's lost pretty much all his credibility in the last few months with various comments/stances on the war andagreeing with and supporting bush no matter what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Also does Al Gore count?

I think he's done an excellent job with issues that he finds important in the past few years (whether you agree with him on global warming or not you have to accept that he's championed that cause like no other defeated presidential candidate)... I saw him recently speak on CNN about the media and candidates pandering to a sound bite political system (I agreed with that hatred)... and all without techincally no longer being a politician

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of people in this thread saying "whether you agree with his politics or not"...yada yada, you have to resepct the fact that he stuck to his guns/championed his cause. This doesnt make much sense to me, its really not hard to keep shoving your viewpoint down peoples throats when you have a lot of money. I mean, Hitler did pretty well in pushing his master plan upon the world, does that mean I should respect him? True respect should come only after change, and change that you agree with imo.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:26 PM

Guids that's incredibly dumb... you can only respect someone if you agree or if theyve changed something?

Come on... we could get into insane debates about what constitutes an acceptable level of change... and as for agreeing completely with someone it's still possible to respect them even if you're against them. You can respect someone based on their behavior, the quality of their ideas, their capacity in defending their ideas, dedication to a cause, etc.

Check out Kennedy's attitude toward Goldwater if youre looking for a great example of respect between politicians despite opposing views.

Also Hitler comparison... classy (Godwin's Law). Because its evil to respect Hitler it must be totally evil to respect anyone who's the least bit forceful in their convictions/policies.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guids that's incredibly dumb... you can only respect someone if you agree or if theyve changed something?

Come on... we could get into insane debates about what constitutes an acceptable level of change... and as for agreeing completely with someone it's still possible to respect them even if you're against them. You can respect someone based on their behavior, the quality of their ideas, their capacity in defending their ideas, dedication to a cause, etc.

Check out Kennedy's attitude toward Goldwater if youre looking for a great example of respect between politicians despite opposing views.

Also Hitler comparison... classy (Godwin's Law). Because its evil to respect Hitler it must be totally evil to respect anyone who's the least bit forceful in their convictions/policies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hated to use hitler as an example fwiw, but I couldnt think of anyway to convey what I was trying to say. But, no, I rarely can respect people that I feel are fundamentally at odds with what I think is right, it may be "dumb" in your opinion, but why should I hold anyone in any esteem if I think their viewpoints are silly?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just made a post in response to the Paul Pork article, explaining why, even though I completely agree that the issue is Paul's great ideological weakness, and may be his Achilles Heel, it will not change my support of him in the upcoming presidential election. I made a handy Venn diagram to illustrate my reasons and summarize my argument:

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you link to the post you made?

Also, sweet diagram!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What should we make of the overlap between 'Ron Paul' and 'Everyone who is not Ron Paul'?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What bill are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

McCain-Feingold. Yet another in a long line of Incumbent Protection Acts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It explicitly outlaws certain kinds of political speech. Outlawing something is pretty clearly "infringing" upon it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you be more detailed please? Is giving senators free golf trips and expensive hookers a form of political speech?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. You have been sorely misled. Is publishing a blog a bribe? Is putting up flyers in your neighborhood graft? Is publishing an op-ed a perversion of democracy?

That bill is evil and prevents neighborhood groups from publishing information about candidates for office.