Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 PM

Default K-Q Suited 3/6 Pokerroom. was this played right?

PokerRoom 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
BB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

My main questions here are:

1) Should I be raising the flop here with such a great drawing hand?

2) Did the turn require a raise also?

Overall was there a better way to play this hand or was everything perfect [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2006, 09:23 PM

Default Re: K-Q Suited 3/6 Pokerroom. was this played right?

well played, i might cap the flop to keep control of the hand but other than that i would take the same line
Old 03-06-2006, 09:46 PM

I'm not sure whether it matters whether you cap the flop or not. You are probably not that far ahead of his range equity-wise after he three-bet here. The only reason I would say capping is best is because it disguises that you are on a draw to some degree (the nut flush draw would probably just call the third bet) -- but you are on one of the biggest draws possible which isn't THAT big of a dog to top set. If you cap, he could put you on aces - which would be drawing thin to the 88o (which is by far his most likely holding).

He limp/called PF, so I'm guessing he either has top two or one of the top two sets. For this reason, I think it would really be a disaster to raise the turn card. I'm not even sure I would like raising the turn if you had turned top pair, especially if it were a king (a set of tens is still the second nuts).

I like the way you played it. I'm not sure you were drawing as thick as you thought you were.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:00 PM

I think you played it identically to how I would have played it.

The flop bet/reraise from villain indicates a strong hand. Your K/Q outs MIGHT not be any good. No sense in capping the flop here. However, if BB and CO stayed in the hand, I probably would have raised for value. (anyone disagree?)

The turn card gives you more outs, but I still don't think you have enough equity to raise, especially heads-up. You only have one card to see, and you can safely fold the river unimproved. No need to risk 2 bets (or even 3) to fold the river.

River - Cha Ching! nh
Old 03-06-2006, 10:50 PM

50% of the time I would play it exactly the way you played it. The other 50% I would cap flop, check behind or check/call the turn, bet/raise the river (obviously)
Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 PM

I actually never looked at the hand History till now and he was playing 10-9 Hearts
Old 03-07-2006, 01:59 AM

I would play this the same way.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:03 AM

It seems fine.

Although you've got a boatload of outs on the turn, Villain has shown enough strength vs. a PFR that I don't think you're getting a fold very often at all with a semibluff-raise.